Renewing your Dutch passport in Italy

If you live in Italy and you are a Dutch national, you can renew your Dutch passport at the Dutch embassy in Rome. It isn't possible to apply for a passport at the consulates in Italy.


  • You have Dutch nationality.
  • You are 18 years old or over.
  • You hold a Dutch passport or ID card (valid or expired) or were previously registered in a parent’s passport.

If your situation is different, select the appropriate option under Applying for a passport.

Renewing your passport in the Netherlands

If you are visiting the Netherlands soon, you can submit an application at one of the Dutch border municipalities or at Schiphol Airport.

What documents do you need?

When you apply for a passport, you must provide several documents. For every document, you must provide the original and a photocopy. You may need to have the original legalised and translated. The rules vary by country.

You can find a list of the required documents in the checklist (PDF ). Please note, the checklist only lists which documents you must provide. The requirements that the documents must meet are set out on this page.

Identity documents

You should bring all identity documents in your name. This includes foreign and expired documents. You do not need to bring expired documents which have already been cancelled (for instance by having a hole punched through them).

Application form

You should bring a completed and signed passport application form (in Dutch and English).


Two photos (1 required and 1 spare) that meet the Dutch requirements for passport photos.

Proof of identity

You must go to the embassy or consulate-general to prove your identity and have your fingerprints taken.

Partner’s name

You can add your partner’s name to your passport. If your marriage certificate or certificate of registered partnership is not held in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen), bring an official copy of the certificate with you. This document does not need to have been issued recently. And it does not need to be legalised.

Widow or widower

If you are a widow or widower and you want this to be recorded in your passport for the first time, please bring an official copy of your partner’s death certificate with you.

Dual nationality

If you have another nationality in addition to your Dutch nationality, and this is the first time you are renewing an identity document after turning 18 or your first application since acquiring your other nationality, you will need to provide additional documents because of your dual nationality.

Proof of legal residence

You must provide proof of legal residence in the country where you live.

In Italy, you can do this by providing: 

  • an identity card (carta d'identità)


  • a permanent residence permit for EU citizens (attestazione di soggiorno permanente per i cittadini dell'Unione Europea)


  • a residence certificate (certificato di residenza), issued no longer than one year ago.

Extract of Italian birth certificate

If it is stated on this page that you will need to bring an extract of the birth certificate and the person concerned is born in Italy? Then you will need to bring a multilingual extract of the Italian birth certificate. In Italian this is called an "estratto dell' atto di nascita con le generalità dei genitori plurilingue".

Multilingual extracts of Italian birth (or marriage) certificates do not need to be legalised.

How do I make an appointment?

You can make an appointment online to visit the embassy in Rome.

How much will it cost?

You can find the price of a passport or ID card in the overview of consular fees in Italy.
Payments can be made in cash, in euros, or by debit or credit card.

How long will it take?

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will first determine if you are a Dutch national. If so, you are entitled to a passport or ID card.

Your passport or ID card will be ready in about 3 weeks. You may be asked to provide additional documents to help us assess your application. If so, it may take up to 8 weeks for you to receive your passport or ID card.

What if I need my passport or ID card in the meantime?

If you need your current passport or ID card while your application is being processed, you can hand it in later, when you come to collect your new one. If your new document is being sent to you by post, you must first send your current passport or ID card to the embassy. Only then will the new document be posted to you.

How can I track my application?

When you apply for a travel document, you will receive a track & trace code. This allows you to track the status of your application online. You will be informed by email when your document is ready.

How do I get my document?

Collect your document

You can collect your document from the embassy in Rome between 9.00 and 12.00 on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and between 10.00 and 12.00 and between 14.00 and 16.00 on Thursdays. You do not need to make an appointment. First check which days our offices are closed.

Have your document sent by post

You can also have your new passport or ID card sent to you by DHL courier. You will have to pay the EUR 12.50 postage charge yourself. You must pay the postage charge when you submit your application.

What happens to my old passport or ID card?

The embassy or consulate will cancel your old passport or ID card and then return it to you.

If your old document contains visas or residence permits that are still valid and you want to keep those pages intact, you should make this known beforehand.


If you have any questions, please contact the embassy in Rome.