Renewing a minor's Dutch passport in the United Kingdom

If you live in the United Kingdom (UK) and your child is a Dutch national, you can renew their Dutch passport at the Dutch embassy in London or via VFS Global in Edinburgh.

Your situation

  • The child has Dutch nationality.
  • The child is under 18.
  • The child holds a Dutch passport or ID card (valid or expired) or was previously registered in a parent’s passport.

If the child’s situation is different, select the appropriate option under Applying for a passport.

Renewing a passport in the Netherlands

If you are visiting the Netherlands soon, you can submit an application at one of the Dutch border municipalities or at Schiphol Airport.

What documents do you need?

Copies and legalisation of documents

When you apply for a passport, you must provide several documents. For every document, you must provide the original and a photocopy. You may need to have the original legalised and translated. The rules vary by country.

Identity documents

You should bring all identity documents in your and the child’s name. This includes foreign and expired documents. You do not need to bring expired documents which have already been cancelled (for instance by having a hole punched through them).

If you have requested a residence document from the UK government and your identity documents are with the Home Office, you should ask the Home Office to return them. If your Dutch passport or ID card is with the Home Office, you cannot apply for an emergency document either.

Application form

You should also bring a completed and signed passport application form (PDF, 246 KB).


Bring two photos (1 required and 1 spare) that meet the Dutch requirements for passport photos.

Proof of identity

You and the child must go to the embassy to prove the child’s identity.

Parental consent

Each parent must give permission for a passport application to be submitted for the child.

If both parents are able to visit the embassy both parents sign the passport application form and accompany their child to the embassy. The parents should bring their identity documents with them.

If one or both parents are unable to visit the embassy each parent who is unable to come fills in and signs a declaration of consent. This form is available in Dutch and English. If you live in the Netherlands, you can get a declaration of consent (PDF, 193 KB) form from your municipality. Make sure your child takes the signed declaration(s) and photocopies of both parents’ passports to the embassy with them.


If you are the child’s guardian, you must prove this by presenting an official copy of the relevant court judgment. The official copy must not have been issued more than 1 year ago.

Replacement consent of the court

Every passport application for a minor requires the consent of every person with parental responsibility for that minor. If a person with parental responsibility is not willing or able to give his/her consent for the issuance of a passport, the court has to give consent in lieu of that person.

A residence order or parental responsibility order in favor of one of the parents with parental responsibility will not be sufficient as these orders do not end the parental responsibility of the other parent. The court has to state that it gives consent for the issuance of a Dutch passport instead of the person with parental responsibility who is unable or unwilling to do so.

In case the minor lives in the UK, please contact a solicitor or your local Citizens Advice Bureau for further information on how to submit a request to the court and which court the application should be made to.

Death certificate

If one or both of the child’s parents are deceased, please provide an official copy of the death certificate(s).

At least one parent is a Dutch national

You must provide proof that at least one of the child’s parents has Dutch nationality. This can be a Dutch passport and a residence permit for the country where they live. Or other documents proving Dutch nationality.

Birth certificate

If the child’s birth certificate is held in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen), you do not have to bring this document with you. If the child’s birth certificate is not held in the Personal Records Database, you should bring with you a complete official copy of the child’s birth certificate or an extract from the register of births, giving the child’s place of birth (not only the state, but also the city, town or village where the child was born) and both parents’ full names. These documents do not need to have been issued recently. Hospital-issued certificates are not accepted.

Proof of legal residence

You must provide proof of legal residence in the country where you and your child live.

In the United Kingdom, you can do this by providing one of the following: 

  • a bank statement bearing your address
  • a utility bill bearing your address
  • proof of payment of council tax

Declaration of marital status

Are you applying for a passport or identity card for your child (or for yourself) for the first time and were you (or your parents) not married at the time of your child's (or your) birth? Then both the applicant's parents will need to complete and sign this declaration.

Checklist with required documents

It is important that you bring all the required documents for your application with you at the time of your appointment. For that reason the embassy works with a combined checklist, where you can see what documents you have to prepare per application type.

Unless otherwise indicated,  you must bring both the original document and a photocopy of the document. The embassy does not make copies, so make sure you make the necessary copies yourself.

The embassy will not be able to help you if you come to your appointment without the necessary documents. You will then have to make a new appointment.

How do I make an appointment?

London embassy

Make an appointment via the online appointment system.

Space in the waiting room is limited. If you arrive too early, please wait outside. Friends and family are not allowed into the waiting room if they do not have an appointment.

Please ensure you have completed the application form in full and that you have the correct photos. Please be on time. If there is anything missing from your application, the embassy cannot help you and you will have to make another appointment.

VFS Global Edinburgh

Since 5 September 2016 Dutch citizens can also apply for a Dutch passport or identity card at the VFS Global office in Edinburgh. This pilot project enables Dutch nationals to apply for both first applications for a Dutch passport or identity card, as well as renewal applications at the VFS Global office.

VFS Global Edinburgh is not a Dutch consulate. It charges an extra handling fee for your application.

You can make an appointment online to visit VFS Global Edinburgh. You can also make an appointment by calling +44 (0)8713760023 (calls charged at 6p per minute plus your phone company’s access charge). Or you can email (only for appointments at VFS Edinburgh)

How much will it cost?

You can find the price of a passport or ID card in the overview of consular fees in the United Kingdom. Payments can be made by debit or credit card (Visa or MasterCard).

If you cannot pay by debit or credit card, cash payment in pounds sterling (GBP) in the exact amount is possible.

American Express cards, money orders or cheques are not accepted.

How long will it take?

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will first determine if you are a Dutch national. If so, you are entitled to a passport or ID card.

Your passport or ID card will be ready in about 3 weeks. You may be asked to provide additional documents to help us assess your application. If so, it may take up to 8 weeks for you to receive your passport or ID card.

How can I track my application?

When you apply for a travel document, you will receive a track & trace code. This allows you to track the status of your application online. You will be informed by email when your document is ready.

How do I get my document?

Collect your document

You can collect your document from the embassy in London or VFS Global in Edinburgh.

  • London: between 10.00 and 12.00 and between 14.00 and 15.30 Monday to Friday, except for the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month
  • Edinburgh: between 12.00 and 14.00 Monday to Friday

You will receive an invitation to collect your document from the embassy or VFS Global as soon as it is ready. You should bring the invitation with you.

You do not need to make an appointment. First check which days our offices are closed.

Have your document sent by post

You can have your new passport or ID card sent to a UK address by Royal Mail Special Delivery. You will have to pay the GBP 7 postage charge yourself.

What happens to my old passport or ID card?

If you did not hand your old passport or ID card in when you submitted your application, please bring it with you when you come to collect your new one. The embassy or VFS global will cancel your old passport or ID card and then return it to you.
If your old document contains visas or residence permits that are still valid and you want to keep those pages intact, you should make this known beforehand.


If you have any questions, please contact the embassy in London.