Applying for a minor's first Dutch passport in Hungary

If you live in Hungary and your child is a Dutch national, you can apply for their first Dutch passport at the Dutch embassy in Budapest.


  • The child has Dutch nationality.
  • The child is under 18.
  • The child has not previously held a Dutch passport or ID card.
  • The child was not registered in a parent’s passport.

If the child’s situation is different, select the appropriate option under Applying for a passport.

Applying for a passport in the Netherlands

If you are visiting the Netherlands soon, you can submit an application at one of the Dutch border municipalities or at Schiphol Airport.

What documents do you need?

When you apply for a passport, you must provide several documents. For every document, you must provide the original and a photocopy. You may need to have the original legalised and translated. The rules vary by country.

You can find a list of the required documents in the checklist (PDF ). Please note, the checklist only lists which documents you must provide. The requirements that the documents must meet are set out on this page.

Identity documents

You should bring all identity documents in your and the child’s name. This includes foreign and expired documents. You do not need to bring expired documents which have already been cancelled (for instance by having a hole punched through them).

Application form

You should bring a completed and signed passport application form (in Dutch and English).


Bring two photos (1 required and 1 spare) that meet the Dutch requirements for passport photos.

Proof of identity

You and the child must go to the embassy or consulate-general to prove the child’s identity.

Parental consent

Each parent must give permission for a passport application to be submitted for the child.

If both parents are able to visit the embassy or consulate-general
Both parents sign the passport application form and accompany their child to the embassy or consulate-general. The parents should bring their identity documents with them.

If one or both parents are unable to visit the embassy or consulate-general
Each parent who is unable to come fills in and signs a declaration of consent. This form is available in Dutch and English. If you live in the Netherlands, you can get a declaration of consent (PDF, 193 KB) form from your municipality. Make sure your child takes the signed declaration(s) and photocopies of both parents’ passports to the embassy or consulate-general with them.


If you are the child’s guardian, you must prove this by presenting an official copy of the relevant court judgment. The official copy must not have been issued more than 1 year ago.

Death certificate

If one or both of the child’s parents are deceased, please provide an official copy of the death certificate(s).

Proof at least one of the child’s parents was a Dutch national at the time of the child’s birth

You must provide proof that at least one of the child’s parents was a Dutch national at the time of the child’s birth.

To do this, please provide one of the following documents:

  • The parent’s Dutch passport, valid at the time of the child’s birth, and a valid residence document for the country where the parent lives.
  • Other documents proving that the parent holds Dutch nationality, such as a naturalisation certificate, a confirmation of nationality acquired through the option procedure, adoption papers or an acknowledgement document.

Proof at least one parent is still a Dutch national

You must provide proof that at least one of the child’s parents still holds Dutch nationality. This can be a Dutch passport and a residence permit for the country where they live. Or other documents proving Dutch nationality.

Marriage certificate or certificate of registered partnership

Please provide an official copy of the parent’s marriage certificate or certificate of registered partnership, giving their full names and the date of marriage or registered partnership. The official copy must not have been issued more than 1 year ago. If the child’s parents were not married at the time of the child’s birth, you will need to provide other documents.

Birth certificate

You should bring with you a complete official copy of the child’s birth certificate or an extract from the register of births, giving the child’s place of birth (not only the state, but also the city, town or village where the child was born) and both parents’ full names. The document must not have been issued more than 1 year ago. Hospital-issued certificates are not accepted.

Adoption papers

If the child is adopted, please provide the adoption papers.

Proof of legal residence

You must provide proof of legal residence in the country where you and your child live.

In Hungary, you can do this by providing:

  • proof that you are registered with your local municipality
  • a bank statement or utility bill bearing your address
  • proof of payment of municipal taxes

How do I make an appointment?

You can make an appointment online to visit the embassy in Budapest.

How much will it cost?

You can find the price of a passport or ID card in the overview of consular fees in Hungary.
Payments can be made in cash, in Hungarian forints (HUF), or by debit card, in euros (EUR).

How long will it take?

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will first determine if you are a Dutch national. If so, you are entitled to a passport or ID card.

Your passport or ID card will be ready in about 3 weeks. You may be asked to provide additional documents to help us assess your application. If so, it may take up to 8 weeks for you to receive your passport or ID card.

What if I need my passport or ID card in the meantime?

If you need your current passport or ID card while your application is being processed, you can hand it in later, when you come to collect your new one. If your new document is being sent to you by post, you must first send your current passport or ID card to the embassy. Only then will the new document be posted to you.

How can I track my application?

When you apply for a travel document, you will receive a track & trace code. This allows you to track the status of your application online.  You will be informed by email when your document is ready.

How do I get my document?

Collect your document

You can collect your document from the embassy in Budapest between 9.00 and 16.00 Monday to Friday. You do not need to make an appointment. First check which days our offices are closed.

Between 2 July and 15 August 2017 the embassy will be openend on Monday until Friday from 10.00 until 16.00 hours. During this time you can only pick up your travel documents during these times.

Have your document sent by post

You can also have your new passport or ID card sent to you by post. You will have to pay the postage charge yourself.

If you choose to have your new document sent by post, this can be done using the Pannon XP courier service:

Pannon XP
Akadály utca 15
H-1183 Budapest

Tel.: +36(0)207733399

What happens to my old passport or ID card?

The embassy or consulate will cancel your old passport or ID card and then return it to you.

If your old document contains visas or residence permits that are still valid and you want to keep those pages intact, you should make this known beforehand.


If you have any questions, please contact the embassy in Budapest.