Applying for a passport or ID card if you live in United States

Are you a Dutch national living in United States? And do you want to renew or apply for a Dutch passport or identity card (ID card)? You can do so at a Dutch embassy in Washington or at the consulates-general in Miami, New York and San Francisco. You can also lodge your application at a Dutch border municipality or at the Schiphol desk.

Step 1: Create your personal checklist

It is important for your passport or ID card application that you bring the correct documents with you. You should therefore create a personal checklist for you or the child you're applying on behalf of. Then you’ll know what documents to bring. Step 2 shows you whether there are additional document requirements in the country you live in.

  • For every document, you must always bring the original and one photocopy with you.
  • You may need to have the original legalised.
  • If your document is not issued in Dutch, English, German, French or Spanish, it will need to be translated. This must be done by a sworn translator.

  • You may be asked to provide additional documents.
  • All applicants must appear in person; this includes children.

If no checklist is being displayed, try again later. Or try reloading the page or opening it in a different browser.

Once you have completed your checklist, please continue with step 2.

Step 2: Check the additional requirements for the United States

Depending on your country of residence, additional document requirements may apply. Below you can find out about the requirements for the United States.

Proof of legal residence

You must provide proof of legal residence in the country where you live. In the United States, you can do this by providing:

  • a valid visa and supporting documents (a Homeland Security's 797 Notice of Action)
  • a valid residence permit

Do you have the American nationality? Then you can show that you are legally residing in the United States by providing:

  • a copy of your American passport (if you were born in the US)
  • a certificate of naturalisation as a US citizen or proof of birth abroad, a so called Consular Report of Birth Abroad, CRBA (if you were not born in the US)

If you do not have valid US immigration documents, you must hold a ‘Certification of Non-existence of a Record of Naturalization’. You can request this document from US Citizenship and Immigration Services.

First-time application

If you have never previously held a Dutch passport or ID card, and you are bringing with you a birth certificate or marriage certificate that was issued in the United States, you must have the document legalised with an apostille.  

First renewal after acquiring US nationality

If you are renewing your Dutch passport or identity card for the first time since acquiring US nationality, you must have your naturalisation document legalised with an apostille.

If you acquired US nationality through your partner, bring proof that you were married at the time of your naturalisation (no record of divorce). You can apply for this through the CDC, National Center for Health Statistics.

Step 3: Apply at a Dutch border municipality or at Schiphol Airport

If you want to apply for your passport or ID card in the Netherlands, you can do so at one of the Dutch border municipalities or at Schiphol Airport.

Step 4: Apply in the United States

If you want to apply for your passport or ID card in the United States, first make sure you have all the required documents. You can see which documents you need by completing the checklist (step 1). You should also check what additional requirements apply in the United States (step 2). Then you can make an appointment.

How do I make an appointment?

You can make an appointment online to visit the embassy in Washington or the consulate-general in Miami, New York or San Francisco.

Applying for a passport or ID card in Dallas, TX on January 15 and 16, 2019
Please read the news article for more information on the application procedure.

How much will it cost?

You can find the price of a passport or ID card in the overview of consular fees in the United States.

Payments can be made by credit card only (Visa or Mastercard). It is not possible to make payments with American Express or Diners Club cards.

How long will it take?

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will first determine if you are a Dutch national. If so, you are entitled to a passport or ID card.

Your passport or ID card will be ready in about 3 weeks. You may be asked to provide additional documents to help us assess your application. If so, it may take up to 8 weeks for you to receive your passport or ID card.

What if I need my passport or ID card in the meantime?

If you need your current passport or ID card while your application is being processed, you can hand it in later, when you come to collect your new one. If your new document is being sent to you by post, you must first send your current passport or ID card to the embassy or consulate-general. Only then will the new document be posted to you.

How can I track my application?

When you apply for a travel document, you will receive a track & trace code. This allows you to track the status of your application online. You will be informed by email when your document is ready.

Collect your document

You can collect your document from the embassy in Washington DC or the consulate-general in Miami, New York or San Francisco at the following times:

  • Washington DC: between 11.00 and 12.30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays
  • Miami: between 9.00 and 12.00 Monday to Friday
  • New York: make an appointment by sending an email stating your name and the time you would like to collect your document
  • San Francisco: you can pick-up your document from Monday to Friday between 9:30 and 13:00 hours. However, before you come, send an e-mail with the name of the person who will pick up the document and the date on which it will be picked up. This is for the reception / security in the building where the consulate-general is located.

You only need to make an appointment to visit the consulate-general in New York. First check which days our embassy and consulates-general are closed.

Have your document sent by post

You can also have your new passport or ID card sent to you by UPS, USPS, FedEx or DHL. You will have to pay the postage charge yourself, and you will need to provide a pre-paid shipping label when you submit your application (1 for each application). For more information see the mailing instructions.

What happens to my old passport or ID card?

If you did not hand your old passport or ID card in when you submitted your application, please bring it with you when you come to collect your new one. The embassy or consulate will cancel your old passport or ID card and then return it to you.

If your old document contains visas or residence permits that are still valid and you want to keep those pages intact, you should make this known beforehand.


If you have any questions, please contact the Dutch embassy in Washington D.C., the Consulate General in New York, the Consulate General in Miami or the Consulate General in San Fransisco.