Applying for a passport or ID card if you live in United Kingdom

Are you a Dutch national living in United Kingdom? And do you want to renew or apply for a Dutch passport or identity card (ID card)? You can do so at the Dutch embassy in Londen or at VFS Global in Edinburgh. You can also lodge your application at a Dutch border municipality or at the Schiphol desk.

Step 1: Create your personal checklist

It is important for your passport or ID card application that you bring the correct documents with you. You should therefore create a personal checklist for you or the child you're applying on behalf of. Then you’ll know what documents to bring. Step 2 shows you whether there are additional document requirements in the country you live in.

  • For every document, you must always bring the original and one photocopy with you.
  • You may need to have the original legalised.
  • If your document is not issued in Dutch, English, German, French or Spanish, it will need to be translated. This must be done by a sworn translator.

  • You may be asked to provide additional documents.
  • All applicants must appear in person; this includes children.

If no checklist is being displayed, try again later. Or try reloading the page or opening it in a different browser.

Once you have completed your checklist, please continue with step 2.

Step 2: Check the additional requirements for the United Kingdom

Depending on your country of residence, additional document requirements may apply. Below you can find out about the requirements for the United Kingdom.

Proof of legal residence

You must provide proof of legal residence in the country where you live. In the United Kingdom, you can do this by providing one of the following:

  • a bank statement bearing your address
  • a utility bill bearing your address
  • proof of payment of council tax

If the Home Office has your document

If the Home Office has your Dutch passport or ID card, you cannot apply for a new travel document or emergency document. You should ask the Home Office to return your passport or ID card.

Renewal: if your passport or ID card expired more than 2 years ago

If your passport or ID card expired more than 2 years ago and you do not hold another valid foreign passport or ID card, you will need to submit a ‘Confirmation of the non-acquisition of British citizenship’ with your application. You can request this from UK Visas and Immigration.

Applying on behalf of a minor: certificate of marital status

If the child's parents were not married at the time of the child's birth, and the child was born in the United Kingdom, it is not possible to apply to the UK authorities for a certificate of marital status. For the period that the parents spent in the UK, a completed and signed self-declaration is sufficient.

Applying on behalf of a minor: proxy consent via a court of law

If, in the event of joint parental responsibility, one party does not give their consent for a passport or ID card application to be submitted on behalf of the minor, proxy consent via a court of law can be obtained.

First-time application: legalisation of documents

If, according to your personal checklist (step 1), you need to get a document legalised, and if your birth certificate or marriage certificate was issued in the United Kingdom, you must have the document legalised with an apostille. The rules for legalisation vary from country to country. If your document was issued by another country, then check if it needs to be legalised.

Step 3: Apply at a Dutch border municipality or at Schiphol Airport

If you want to apply for your passport or ID card in the Netherlands, you can do so at one of the Dutch border municipalities or at Schiphol Airport.

Step 4: Apply in the United Kingdom

If you want to apply for your passport or ID card in the United Kingdom, first make sure you have all the required documents. You can see which documents you need by completing the checklist (step 1). You should also check what additional requirements apply in the United Kingdom (step 2). Then you can make an appointment.

Make an appointment at the embassy in London

Make an appointment using the online appointment system.

Space in the waiting room is limited. If you arrive too early, please wait outside. Friends and family are not allowed into the waiting room if they do not have an appointment.

Please ensure you have completed the application form in full and that you have the correct photos. Please be on time. If there is anything missing from your application, the embassy cannot help you and you will have to make another appointment.

Make an appointment at VFS Global in Edinburgh

Since 5 September 2016 a pilot project has been running at VFS Global in Edinburgh, making it possible to renew your Dutch passport or ID card there. It is also possible to submit a first-time application for a Dutch passport or ID card to VFS Global.

VFS Global Edinburgh is not a consulate, but an external service provider. As a result, VFS Global charges an additional handling fee on top of the normal application fee. VFS Global will send your application to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the Netherlands, where it will be processed.

You can make an appointment online to visit VFS Global in Edinburgh. You can also make an appointment by calling +44 (0)871 376 0023 (calls charged at 6p per minute plus your phone company’s access charge). Or you can email

How much will it cost?

You can find the price of a passport or ID card in the overview of consular fees in the United Kingdom.

Payments can be made by debit or credit card (Visa or Mastercard).

If you cannot pay by debit or credit card, cash payment in pounds sterling (GBP) in the exact amount is possible.

American Express cards, money orders and cheques are not accepted.

How long will it take?

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will first determine if you are a Dutch national. If so, you are entitled to a passport or ID card.

Your passport or ID card will be ready in about 3 weeks. You may be asked to provide additional documents to help us assess your application. In that case, the decision period will be extended.

How can I track my application?

When you apply for a travel document, you will receive a track & trace code. This allows you to track the status of your application online. You will be informed by email when your document is ready.

Collect your document

You can collect your document from the embassy in London or VFS Global in Edinburgh.

  • London: between 10.00 and 12.00 and between 14.00 and 15.30 Monday to Friday, except for the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month.
  • Edinburgh: between 12.00 and 14.00 Monday to Friday.

You will receive an invitation to collect your document from the embassy or VFS Global as soon as it is ready. You should bring the invitation with you.

You do not need to make an appointment. First check which days our offices are closed.

Have your document sent by post

You can have your new passport or ID card sent to a UK address by Royal Mail Special Delivery. You will have to pay the GBP 7 postage charge yourself.

What happens to my old passport or ID card?

If you did not hand your old passport or ID card in when you submitted your application, please bring it with you when you come to collect your new one. The embassy or VFS global will cancel your old passport or ID card and then return it to you.

If your old document contains visas or residence permits that are still valid and you want to keep those pages intact, you should make this known beforehand.


If you have any questions, please contact the embassy in London.