Applying for a passport or ID card if you live in New Zealand

Are you a Dutch national living in New Zealand? And do you want to renew or apply for a Dutch passport or identity card (ID card)? You can do so at the Dutch embassy in Wellington. You can also lodge your application at a Dutch border municipality or at the Schiphol desk.

Attention: from 22 December until 6 January included the embassy in Wellington will be closed. During this time no passports will be sent. If you need your passport before this time, we advise you to apply with an urgent procedure.

Step 1: Create your personal checklist

It is important for your passport or ID card application that you bring the correct documents with you. You should therefore create a personal checklist for you or the child you're applying on behalf of. Then you’ll know what documents to bring. Step 2 shows you whether there are additional document requirements in the country you live in.

  • For every document, you must always bring the original and one photocopy with you.
  • You may need to have the original legalised.
  • If your document is not issued in Dutch, English, German, French or Spanish, it will need to be translated. This must be done by a sworn translator.

  • You may be asked to provide additional documents.
  • All applicants must appear in person; this includes children.

If no checklist is being displayed, try again later. Or try reloading the page or opening it in a different browser.

Once you have completed your checklist, please continue with step 2.

Step 2: Check the additional requirements for New Zealand

Depending on your country of residence, additional document requirements may apply. Below you can find out about the requirements for New Zealand.

Proof of legal residence

You must provide proof of legal residence in the country where you live. In New Zealand, you can do this by providing:

  • a residence permit (if you do not hold New Zealand nationality)


  • a New Zealand passport (if you hold New Zealand and Dutch nationality)

First-time application

If you have never previously held a Dutch passport or ID card, and you are bringing with you a birth certificate or marriage certificate that was issued in New Zealand, you must have the document legalised with an apostille.

First renewal after acquiring New Zealand nationality

If you are renewing your Dutch passport or identity card for the first time since acquiring New Zealand nationality, you must have your naturalisation document legalised with an apostille.

If you acquired New Zealand nationality through your partner, bring proof that you were married at the time of your naturalisation (no record of divorce).You can apply for this through Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Step 3: Apply at a Dutch border municipality or at Schiphol Airport

If you want to apply for your passport or ID card in the Netherlands, you can do so at one of the Dutch border municipalities or at Schiphol Airport.

Step 4: Apply in New Zealand

If you want to apply for your passport or ID card in New Zealand, first make sure you have all the required documents. You can see which documents you need by completing the checklist (step 1). You should also check what additional requirements apply in New Zealand (step 2). Then you can make an appointment.

How do I make an appointment?

You can make an appointment online to visit the embassy in Wellington.

How much will it cost?

You can find the price of a passport or ID card in the overview of consular fees in New Zealand.

Payments can be made in New Zealand dollars (NZD) by Eftpos card or credit card.

How long will it take?

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will first determine if you are a Dutch national. If so, you are entitled to a passport or ID card.

Your passport or ID card will be ready in about 3 weeks. You may be asked to provide additional documents to help us assess your application. If so, it may take up to 8 weeks for you to receive your passport or ID card.

What if I need my passport or ID card in the meantime?

If you need your current passport or ID card while your application is being processed, you can hand it in later, when you come to collect your new one. If your new document is being sent to you by post, you must first send your current passport or ID card to the embassy. Only then will the new document be posted to you.

How can I track my application?

When you apply for a travel document, you will receive a track & trace code. This allows you to track the status of your application online. You will be informed by email when your document is ready.

Collect your document

You can collect your document from the embassy in Wellington between 9.30 and 14.00 Monday to Friday. You do not need to make an appointment. First check which days our offices are closed.

Have your document sent by post

You can also have your new passport or ID card sent to you by courier. If you want to receive your document in this way, you should make this known when you submit your application. You will be asked to write your address on an envelope and pay a NZD 8 postage charge.

What happens to my old passport or ID card?

The embassy will cancel your old passport or ID card and then return it to you. If your old document contains visas or residence permits that are still valid and you want to keep those pages intact, you should make this known beforehand.

Contact If you have any questions, please contact the embassy in Wellington.