Applying for a passport or ID card if you live in Ghana

Are you a Dutch national living in Ghana? And do you want to renew or apply for a Dutch passport or identity card (ID card)? You can do so at the Dutch embassy in Accra. You can also lodge your application at a Dutch border municipality or at the Schiphol desk.

Step 1: Create your personal checklist

It is important for your passport or ID card application that you bring the correct documents with you. You should therefore create a personal checklist for you or the child you're applying on behalf of. Then you’ll know what documents to bring. Step 2 shows you whether there are additional document requirements in the country you live in.

  • For every document, you must always bring the original and one photocopy with you.
  • You may need to have the original legalised.
  • If your document is not issued in Dutch, English, German, French or Spanish, it will need to be translated. This must be done by a sworn translator.

  • You may be asked to provide additional documents.
  • All applicants must appear in person; this includes children.

If no checklist is being displayed, try again later. Or try reloading the page or opening it in a different browser.

Once you have completed your checklist, please continue with step 2.

Step 2: Check the additional requirements for Ghana

Your documents may need to meet additional requirements in a given country. Below you can find out about the requirements for Ghana.

Proof of legal residence

You must provide proof of legal residence in the country where you live. In Ghana, you can do this by providing:

  • a valid visa and supporting documents
  • a valid residence permit (Residence Permit Form F, affixed to passport)

First time application

Does your personal checklist state you need to hand in proof of acknowledgement of parentage? For children born in Ghana, this is:

  • The Ghanaian birth certificate, with the father listed as the informant;
  • Proof that the father was in Ghana at the time of registering the birth of the child. He can demonstrate this with the Ghanaian entry and exit stamps in his passport;
  • a declaration of renunciation of citizenship of Ghana. This declaration is issued by the Ghanaian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration and is accompanied by a letter from the ministry's Director of Passports.

Step 3: Apply at a Dutch border municipality or at Schiphol Airport

If you want to apply for your passport or ID card in the Netherlands, you can do so at one of the Dutch border municipalities or at Schiphol Airport.

Step 4: Apply in Ghana

If you want to apply for your passport or ID card in Ghana, first make sure you have all the required documents. You can see which documents you need by completing the checklist (step 1). You should also check what additional requirements apply in Ghana (step 2). Then you can make an appointment.

How do I make an appointment?

You can make an appointment online to visit the embassy in Accra.

How much will it cost?

You can find the price of a passport or ID card in the overview of consular fees in Ghana. Payments can only be made in cash, in Ghanaian cedi (GHC).

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will first determine if you are a Dutch national. If so, you are entitled to a passport or ID card.

How long will it take?

Your passport or ID card will be ready in about 3 weeks. You may be asked to provide additional documents to help us assess your application. In that case, the decision period will be extended.

What if I need my passport or ID card in the meantime?

If you need your current passport or ID card while your application is being processed, you can hand it in later, when you come to collect your new one. If your new document is being sent to you by post, you must first send your current passport or ID card to the embassy. Only then will the new document be posted to you.

How can I track my application?

When you apply for a travel document, you will receive a track & trace code. This allows you to track the status of your application online. You will be informed by email when your document is ready.

Collect your document

You can collect your document from the embassy in Accra between 14.00 and 15.00 Monday to Friday. You do not need to make an appointment. First check which days our offices are closed.

Have your document sent by post

You can also have your new passport or ID card sent to you by courier or by registered post. You will have to pay the postage charge yourself. You must supply the embassy with your full address. A P.O. Box or house number alone is not sufficient. The embassy accepts no responsibility if your document is lost in transit.

What happens to my old passport or ID card?

The embassy will cancel your old passport or ID card and then return it to you.

If your old document contains visas or residence permits that are still valid and you want to keep those pages intact, you should make this known beforehand.


If you have any questions, please contact the embassy in Accra.