Registering a foreign document in the Netherlands

You can register a foreign document in the Register of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Registered Partnerships of the Municipality of The Hague. Examples of such documents include birth certificates, marriage certificates, certificates of registered partnership or death certificates.

You don’t have to register your foreign documents with the municipality, but if you do you can later obtain an official copy or extract from The Hague rather than having to apply in the country where the document was issued.

Documents from many countries need to be legalised

Many foreign documents need to be legalised before they can be registered in the Netherlands. You will need to have your document legalised in the country that issued it originally.

Registering a document in the Netherlands

For more information about registering your foreign document please visit the website of the Municipality of The Hague.