Vacancy Senior Policy Officer Trade and Economics
The Consulate-General in Sydney is looking for a knowledgeable, pro-active team member with a keen eye for business opportunities
The Netherlands and Australia enjoy long-lasting and strong bilateral relations. Sustainable trade and investment, innovation, competitive businesses are trademarks of the economies of both Australia and the Netherlands. The Netherlands is in Australia’s top 5 of Foreign Direct Investors and is one of Australia’s major trading partners among the European Union member states.
The new policy officer should be flexible and a team player. He/she has a university degree (MA or MSc) and relevant experience in economy and trade policy/promotion. He/she has a good understanding of the Australian and Dutch political and economic landscape or is able to acquire that knowledge quickly. The candidate should be able to translate general Australian and Dutch economic policies into specific actions by the Dutch diplomatic network in Australia and to write relevant and timely reports to policy makers in the Netherlands. The candidate should be familiar with issues around sustainability and climate or should be able to acquire that expertise swiftly. Excellent analytical and writing skills are required. He/she should be able to interact with relevant Australian authorities to help create a level playing field for Dutch companies that want to enter the Australian market or are planning to expand their business in Australia. The candidate should be able to connect with Dutch companies to inform and advise them. He or she will be expected to develop an extended and effective network to achieve these objectives.
- Analyse and report on sustainable economic and trade related policies and developments (e.g. that are relevant for Dutch-Australian economic cooperation and/or affect opportunities for Dutch businesses in the Australian market);
- Develop policies for promising sectors in the bilateral economic relationship between Australia and the Netherlands and contribute to the development of Dutch economic diplomacy in Australia;
- Identify opportunities for individual Dutch companies, based on a general knowledge of developments in Australia and the strength of the Dutch economy;
- Understand the needs of Dutch entrepreneurs, reach out to them and support them to enter the Australian market and assist in solving market access issues;
- Represent the Netherlands in meetings with the Australian government departments or agencies, peak bodies and knowledge institutions as well as the European Union;
- Represent the Netherlands missions in Australia in meetings with Dutch counterparts;
- Organise public events to promote Dutch policies & businesses;
- Prepare briefing notes and stump speeches on economic issues for the Ambassador and Consul-General.
The Kingdom of the Netherlands is represented in Australia through its Embassy in Canberra, its Consulate-General in Sydney and five Honorary Consuls in the state capitals. The main focus areas of the Netherlands in Australia are political and security cooperation, promotion of trade and investment and consular services to Dutch citizens. The Embassy in Canberra and the Consulate-General in Sydney work together as one team and coordinate on a daily basis.
The economic officer will be based in Sydney. The team of the Consulate-General of the Kingdom of the Netherlands consists of the Consul-General and 9 staff members, most of whom are locally recruited. The Consulate-General has its offices in Bondi Junction (Westfield Tower 2).
The economic officer will be an integral part of the Netherlands diplomatic economic team, with staff members in both Canberra and Sydney. He/she reports to the head of the economic team, the Consul-General in Sydney. Part of the work is done during evening hours as the team reaches back to the Hague on a regular basis. The Ambassador is an integral part of Dutch economic activities in Australia, along with the Honorary Consuls who help identify opportunities for trade and investments in the states where they are located.
In Canberra and Sydney the working languages are English and Dutch. The atmosphere is open and informal. Staff is encouraged to be pro-active, enterprising and work independently, within the framework of the mission statement, the (multi-)annual strategy and annual plans.
The Consulate-General offers a full time position (38 hours) for one year with the option of prolongation with mutual consent. Start date is August 16, 2021 or another date to be decided. Yearly gross salary approx. 90.000 AUD. Applicants need to be legally authorized to work in Australia. Dutch nationality and/or knowledge of the Dutch language would be an advantage, but is not a requirement.
For further inquiries, please call or email Consul-General Frank van Beuningen (+61 2 8305 6803), email@example.com)
Interested? Please send an E-mail with your qualifications and motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org before Wednesday July 21. Job interviews will be held from 26th – 29th July, either on line or face-to-face depending on the Covid-situation.