Vacancy announcement Public Diplomacy Officer
The Embassy announces the vacancy opening for the position of Public Diplomacy Officer
Date: April 21, 2020
Job title : Public diplomacy officer (PCZ)
Unit/mission : Nur-Sultan
Job level : scale 7
Number of hours : 40
Salary : KZT 483.977,00 gross per annum 
Contract Period : 2 years (extendable)
Starting Date : August 1, 2020
Closing Date for applications : May 10, 2020
- The PD Officer is primarily responsible for planning, organizing and coordinating public diplomacy activities in order to manage and promote the (image of the) Netherlands via local and social media and support Kazakh-Dutch cooperation in fields such as agriculture, (renewable) energy, other economic sectors, education and culture.
In cooperation with the political & human rights officer of the Embassy, the PD officer makes sure that the Ministry’s policy and the Embassy’s activities on peace, human rights, the international legal order and capacity building are being reflected in the abovementioned media;
- The PD Officer is responsible for a clear and instant understanding of instructions, policy guidelines and other relevant information provided by the Ministry and their timely translation into specific communication by the Embassy and/or other appropriate action. Ministerial and Embassy policy procedures, guidelines and instructions as well as the availability of funding, are key elements for a successful performance. As of day one, the PD Officer has to operate fully in line with these elements. Therefore, awareness and the ability to adapt quickly are essential.
- The PD Officer is responsible for filing and archiving all financial and policy related documents, maintaining proper overviews and contact lists.
- Liaise and keep contacts with local media for interviews, Embassy events etc.;
- Monitor developments in the area of interest of the Embassy.
- Monitor how the Netherlands and/or the embassy is portrayed in the local media;
- Draft yearly a Public Diplomacy plan in close coordination with the other staff members within the frame the annual plan of the Embassy and in line with the overall PD policy of the Ministry; coordinate the implementation of this plan;
- Organize additional PD events in close coordination with other staff members;
- Manage the social media accounts of the Embassy;
- Plan and organize internal communication activities (e.g. teambuilding) in coordination with the (Deputy) Head of Mission;
- Keep an overview of relevant Kazakh alumni, who studied in or visited the Netherlands, in particular those who participated in activities funded by the Dutch government and reach out to them with regard to relevant events and activities.
- Monitor social media in order to coordinate all communication activities of the Embassy in this respect; prevent or at least limit the risk of incidents;
- Advise Dutch and Kazakh universities on bilateral cooperation and support other Netherlands higher education promotion activities. Accompany Dutch institutions during visits to Kazakhstan.
- Coordinate cultural events, such as for the Annual Kings Day reception.
- Efficient liaison with local media in order to promote the (image of the) Netherlands.
- Maintenance of Embassy’s website and effective use of social media.
- Close and efficient cooperation with the economic section, the political and human rights officer and other colleagues.
- Initiating and executing PD activities. Proper PD budget spending.
- Proper organization and coordination of education and culture related activities.
- With local media, non-government organisations and government contacts, other embassies, businesses and institutions in order to promote the (image of the) Netherlands.
JOB REQUIREMENTS - Knowledge and areas of experience:
- Academic training in the area of public relations, journalism, event management or related studies.
- Knowledge of the Kazakh (and preferably also Dutch) media and business communities.
- Excellent communication skills in English, Kazakh and Russian (reading, writing, speaking). Ability to translate/interpret simultaneously in these languages.
- Knowledgeable in MS Office, Apple and other relevant IT-programs and applications.
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE PREFERRED TYPE OF EMPLOYEE:
The PD Officer should be an open, enthusiastic employee, with outstanding communication skills, both writing and speaking. He or she is a team player, pro-active and constantly looking for new and creative ways to reach relevant audiences.
Level of education: higher professional level
Level of experience: minimum 2-3 years’ relevant experience required.
- Knowledge of new and traditional methods of information and communication.
- Knowledge of the rules, regulations and developments in the particular area of interest.
- Ability to plan and organise
- Commitment to quality
- Ability to network
- The job includes a wide variety of activities, which require a high degree of flexibility and provides an interesting challenge. It might also require traveling in the region.
- The Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands to Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan is located in Nur-Sultan.
- The Embassy team consists of three expatriate and eleven locally engaged employees.
The position is open to internal and external candidates, who are legal residents or citizens of the Republic of Kazakhstan, who meet the requirements and whose applications are received by the closing date.
- Applications should be send by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Closing date: May 10, 2020
- Applications should consist of a CV and a Cover Letter.
- Both documents should be in English.
- The maximum size of the CV is 2 pages A4.
- The maximum size of the Cover Letter is 1 page A4.
Please note that non-compliance to these criteria will result in disqualification.
In their Cover Letter candidates should present their motivation and explain how they claim to meet the requirements of the position as described in the job profile in terms of education, experience and language etc. After screening CV’s and cover letters of all candidates, the Embassy will select a limited number of candidates who will be contacted for further procedure. This may include a written examination, an oral interview, role-play, practical tests, presentations and/or psychometric assessment. Travel costs to and from interviews/exams will not be reimbursed, nor will any relocation costs.
The Government of the Netherlands is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered on merit regardless of ethnic origin, religious belief, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other irrelevant factor.
Questions with regard to the vacancy can be send by e-mail to email@example.com
During office hours the Embassy can be reached at: +7 7172 555455
Plus benefits, such as medical allowance and 13th month
Besides Kazakhstan, the Embassy is also accredited to Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan. Therefore, all references made in this profile to Kazakhstan can also apply to Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan.