Vacancy announcement Senior Economic Officer
Embassy of the Netherlands in Kazakhstan announces vacancy openings for the position of Senior Economic Officer
Date: April 21, 2020
Job title : Senior Economic Officer
Unit/mission : Nur-Sultan
Job level : scale 8
Number of hours : 40
Salary : 577.328,00 KZT gross per annum, plus benefits (e.g. medical allowance, 13th month)
Contract Period : 2 years (extendable)
Starting Date : August 1, 2020
Closing Date for applications : May 10, 2020
- The Senior Economic Officer is primarily accountable for smart and well-prepared policy proposals, solid recommendations and the smooth implementation/progress of projects.
- The work of the Senior Economic Officer will include one or more major specialised issues or files, involving a wide range of implications and will clearly interact with one or more adjoining policy areas.
- The Senior Economic Officer works in accordance with general instructions of the Head of the Economic Section to develop policy and advice, as well as project management.
- The Senior Economic Officer takes decisions about the further elaboration of policy guidelines and the content of recommendations.
- The Senior Economic Officer is responsible for supporting Dutch enterprises and institutions in terms of providing information on business opportunities, possible partners and economic developments and identifying their information needs. In addition, the Senior Economic Officer promotes Dutch top sectors by preparing and taking part in exhibitions and fairs.
- The Senior Economic Officer takes decisions on the information to be provided, requests to experts to provide additional information, and proposals for improving communication with businesses and institutions.
- Ministerial and Embassy policy procedures and guidelines as well as the availability of funding are key when making and implementing project plans and other proposals. As of day one, the Senior Economic Officer has to fully obey and implement these procedures and guidelines. Therefore, awareness and the ability to adapt quickly are essential.
- Analyse and report on economic and business sector developments in Kazakhstan
- Providing information on the relevant field of work by analysing and answering questions by telephone and in writing; keeping abreast of ministerial policy and topics on which information is frequently requested.
- Acting as a local focal point for the NL Ministry of Agriculture and assisting them with various agriculture-related issues (market access issues, veterinary issues, etc.).
- Identifying information needs both inside and outside the Embassy/Ministry in the relevant field of work by monitoring and analysing questions and requests patterns; informing experts on the results of monitoring and analysis; making proposals for improving communication with companies, enterpreneurs and institutions.
- Gathering information in the relevant areas of work by contributing to studies and advice on the relevant policy, based on the study of literature and reports. The officer must interpret and analyse the collected information independently: monitoring developments in the area of interest; consulting with others on how to obtain the best possible information.
- Developing trade and investment relations between Dutch companies and their business partners in Kazakhstan.
- Cooperating and communicating with Honorary Consuls in Bishkek and Dushanbe, the Embassy in Moscow, relevant departments of the Ministries.
- Maintain and expand relevant and effective network in both Netherlands business, branch organisations and government agencies as well as similar organisations in Kazakhstan.
- Regularly reporting on economic developments and commercial opportunities, in particular in those sectors – such as the agriculture, energy and the environment sector - most relevant for Dutch business interests.
- Mapping opportunities for Dutch enterprises, in particular in the abovementioned sectors.
- Proposing and drawing up activities for the annual plan of the Embassy.
- Initiate and manage relevant agro related projects funded by the so-called PIA budget economic projects, as well as other projects to be funded from the so-called BPA budget.
- Independently preparing and implementing incoming and outgoing fact-finding and trade missions as well as participation in exhibitions/fairs, in particular in the field of agriculture.
- Advising Dutch companies in doing business in Kazakhstan and, in the unfortunate case they are confronted with trade disputes, assisting them in such matters.
- With members of Dutch and international consultative bodies, working groups and think tanks, to exchange information and coordinate courses of action on policy matters.
- With direct and indirect colleagues, to exchange information on relevant regulations, changes and other developments in this respect.
- With fellow policy officers and other such relevant external partners, to exchange advices and actual information on the economic field.
- With the public, to respond to information needs and answer specific questions.
JOB REQUIREMENTS - Knowledge and areas of experience:
- Master in economics, business or international relations.
- Extensive knowledge of and experience with the Kazakh and Dutch government, economy and business community.
- Experience with economic and commercial or business development.
- Excellent communication skills in English, Kazakh and Russian language, both orally and in writing.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office Applications.
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE TYPE OF EMPLOYEE REQUIRED:
The Senior Economic Officer should have strong customer service skills and be very personable as they will be working closely with individuals from the Dutch and Kazakh business communities and their respective governments. He or she must also be flexible in order to cope with the daily demands of the job, like responding swiftly to new issues and switching easily between tasks in order to accommodate and prioritize unexpected demands. Excellent analytical skills are required as correctly analysing the local market trends is imperative to giving sound advice to Dutch companies.
In addition, the Senior Economic Officer should be open, pro-active, enthusiastic and able to work independently. He or she should be a team player, solution-oriented, and active in identifying relevant partners in order to further develop his or her network.
Level of education: higher professional education
Level of experience: minimum 3-5 years’ relevant experience required
- General knowledge of relevant rules, regulations and actual developments.
- Advanced knowledge of new and traditional methods of information and communication.
- Excellent skills in analysing questions and answering them orally and in writing.
- Ability to communicate in writing
- Ability to communicate orally
- Ability to network
- Ability to think analytically
- External awareness
- The small size of the office brings a wide variety of activities, which require a high degree of flexibility but also provides an interesting challenge. Work will also include traveling in the region.
- The Dutch Embassy in Kazakhstan is located in Nur-Sultan (our current office in Almaty will be closed on August 31).
- The Embassy team consists of three expatriate staff members and eleven locally engaged employees. The Economic section is dealing with economic and commercial activities.
The position is open to internal and external candidates, who are legal residents or citizens of the Republic of Kazakhstan, who meet the requirements and whose applications are received by the closing date.
- Applications should be send by email to email@example.com
- Closing date: May 10, 2020.
- Applications should consist of a CV and a Cover Letter.
- Both documents should be in English.
- The maximum size of the CV is 2 pages A4.
- The maximum size of the Cover Letter is 1 page A4.
Please note that non-compliance to these criteria will result in disqualification.
In their Cover Letter candidates should present their motivation and explain how they claim to meet the requirements of the position as described in the job profile in terms of education, experience and language etc. After screening CV’s and cover letters of all candidates, the Embassy will select a limited number of candidates who will be contacted for further procedure. This may include a written examination, an oral interview, role-play, practical tests, presentations and/or psychometric assessment. Travel costs to and from interviews/exams will not be reimbursed, nor will any relocation costs.
The Government of the Netherlands is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered on merit regardless of ethnic origin, religious belief, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other irrelevant factor.
Questions with regard to the vacancy can be send by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
During office hours the Embassy can be reached at: +7 7172 555455.
Besides Kazakhstan, the Embassy is accredited in Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan. While most likely Kazakhstan will remain to be our main focus in general, all activities, mentioned in this job profile can also apply to similar activities in Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan. Therefore, everywhere where ‘Kazakhstan’ is being mentioned in this job profile, please read: ‘Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan’.