New Zealand Prime Minister Announces COVID-19 Alert Level 3
New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has just announced that NZ has moved up to COVID-19 Alert Level 3.
After 48 hours, NZ will then move to COVID-19 Alert Level 4.
NZ is preparing to go into self-isolation as a nation to contain the spread of coronavirus. NZ government is now asking all New Zealanders who are outside essential services to stay at home, and to stop all interactions with others outside of those in their household. These measures will need to be in place four 4 weeks, and will then be reviewed.
Level 3 from March 24, 2020:
- Non-essential businesses must close such as bars, restaurants, cafes, cinemas, libraries, and museums.
- Essential services will remain open such as supermarkets, banks, GPs, pharmacies, and service stations. Put in place physical distancing of staff of 2 metres, or use appropriate personal protective equipment.
- All events and gatherings must be cancelled. This means weddings, birthday celebrations and other gatherings.
- Public transport and regional air travel is restricted to those involved in essential services and freight. Domestic air travel is permitted in some cases for people to leave the country and to get home to self-isolate. Private travel is allowed.
- Schools will be closed except to children of essential workers who still need to go to work each day including doctors, nurses and police. Schools will close completely when NZ moves to Level 4.
Further details are available at www.covid19.govt.nz