Vacancy: Assistant Innovation Officer at the Consulate General in Istanbul
The Holland Innovation Network Turkey is looking for an Assistant Innovation Officer at the Consulate General of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Istanbul, Turkey.
General job description
The Netherlands is a world leader in science, technology and innovation, ranks high in the global competitiveness index and has the ambition to be a top-5 global knowledge economy. To ensure and foster its global position as an innovation leader and to strengthen its global competitiveness, the Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs & Climate Policy has established the Holland Innovation Network: a global Network for Innovation, Science and Technology, located in Dutch embassies and consulates in over 15 countries world-wide.
The main role of the Holland Innovation Network is to act as a liaison for international innovation, R&D and S&T collaboration for Dutch industry, academia and government through its innovation attaches (IAs). The IAs stimulate technological cooperation, answer questions and collect information about science, technology and innovation for the Dutch government, companies, universities and knowledge institutes. The Assistant Innovation Advisor will work under the Innovation Attaché in Turkey within the framework of the Dutch Economic Diplomatic Network (EDN) in Turkey. The EDN works within the Multi Annual Policy Framework towards connecting Dutch knowledge and expertise to Turkish societal challenges, specifically in the field of 1) Livable Cities, 2) Smart Industry, as well as 3) Secure, Clean and efficient energy.
Duties and Activities
Development of R&D collaborations
- Promote and stimulate bilateral R&D cooperation
- Assist Dutch organizations in finding an R&D partner in Turkey and vice versa.
- Aid in finding financial instruments to finance joint R&D collaborations (H2020, Eureka, bilateral, etc.).
- Technology scouting in Turkey for Dutch industry, knowledge institutions and government, for example with regard to the High Tech Systems and Material top-sector and possibly other top-sectors such as Agro-Food, Life Science & Health, ICT;
Market research and reporting
- Market research: pro-actively scan relevant media and publications, and visit events and fairs in order to obtain information on the latest interesting innovation-related developments; research and analyse developments in various technological and R&D sectors in Turkey;
- Reporting: present obtained information both for internal and for external use;
Knowledge acquisition/ Knowledge transfer
- Addressing questions raised by the industry and knowledge institutes;
- Addressing requests for information raised by public authorities
- Organize seminars/workshops in given technological domains;
- Allocate speakers for conferences in the Netherlands and in Turkey;
- Liaise with the Netherlands Foreign Investment Agency regarding Turkish companies that partly base their investment decisions on R&D and innovation needs
Networking and Knowledge dissemination
- Dissemination: publish articles and news items about market and technological developments and disseminate these items and other technology related information via the websites of the Netherlands Enterprise Agency (RVO), of the Economic Diplomatic Network.
- Public outreach: disseminate information via twitter and other appropriate social media to raise awareness;
- Expand network: sustain, nourish and expand the network of the Holland Innovation Network in Turkey through networking events
Organisation of I&S&T Missions
- Plan and organize incoming and outgoing missions in specific sectors (for example nanotechnology, cyber security, electro-optics, aerospace, agro-tech, robotics, fintech, life science and health, etc.)
- Take care of all logistics aspects (accommodation, transportations, social events)
- Collaborate with Turkish and Dutch stakeholders involved in the organisation (i.e., RVO, TUBITAK)
- Provide administrative support regarding CRM, archiving and financial matters
- Any further assistance to the Innovation Attaché;
- Give ad hoc innovation-related assistance to other parts of the Economic Diplomatic Network;
The Innovation Attaché is based at the Consulate General of the Kingdom of The Netherlands in Istanbul and works in commission of the Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs & Climate Policy. The Innovation Attaché works closely with other departments within the Dutch Economic Diplomatic Network (EDN), such as the Trade & Commercial Section, the Netherlands Foreign Investment Agency and the Agricultural Counsellor.
To maintain good relations with relevant Turkish governmental authorities, to scout opportunities and to confer with colleagues, regular business trips to Ankara and Izmir are part of the job.
The daily spoken language at the Consulate General is Dutch. Meetings with external parties are usually conducted in English.
- 3 – 5 years of relevant work experience is required in an international environment
- An evident interest in Innovation, Science & Technology
- A general understanding of Innovation, R&D programs and projects, including EU programs (i.e. H2020, Eureka)
- A general understanding of the innovation community in Turkey (Universities, Research institutes and Industry, government structures)
- Being familiar with relevant innovation sector(s) in Turkey is a pre. For example, but not limited to: High Tech industry, Life Sciences and Health, AgriFood, Energy, and the Water sector
- Being familiar with the start-up community in Turkey is a pre.
- Academic degree(s) in a scientific and/or technical domain
- The applicant will have a network in science and technology organization as well as in the industry and academia
Language and presentation skills
- Fluency in English and Turkish (reading, writing and verbal) is required.
- Skilled communicator and presenter (writing and oral)
- Excellent organizational skills, the ability to coherently plan events; to present plans to decision makers and colleagues; to implement plans and to follow up on organized events.
- Operate both in a team as well as independently;
- positive work attitude, pleasant and cooperative behaviour, team-player;
- excellent social and communication qualities;
- Possess out-of-the-box thinking, creativity;
- Problem-solving, target oriented
- Integrity, loyalty
- Enthusiastic, pro-active attitude to varying tasks and workloads;
At the Consulate General of the Kingdom of The Netherlands in Istanbul, you will be working in a multi-disciplinary and dynamic environment where you will collaborate with the different disciplines present within the Dutch Economic Diplomatic Network. Besides Innovation, Technology & Science, these are Trade Promotion and Investment Promotion. We offer a competitive salary and a dynamic and international environment with good secondary conditions.
The position will in principal be available from the 1st of May 2019. The successful candidate will be offered a local contract (according to the Rrlok regulations of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs). The position is full-time (37, 5 hours per week) without any other work-related commitments. The salary will be determined according to the relevant work experience of the candidate in Rrlok Payscale 7.
If you would like more information regarding the content of this position please contact Rory Nuijens, Innovation Attaché / +90 (530) 8442810
Please submit by email your motivated application and CV before 29th March 2019. Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview.