Job Vacancy Senior Economic Policy Advisor Trade and Investment Promotion
Honorary Consulate of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Surabaya is looking for Senior Economic Policy Advisor Trade and Investment Promotion.
A. General Information
Senior Economic Policy Advisor Trade and Investment Promotion
The senior policy advisor trade and investment promotion will be responsible for related activities, with a particular focus on individual and collective promotion.
- Collects information, writes analysis or advises on prospects of interest regarding economic developments, specifically the “top” sectors water sanitation, delta technology, maritime and harbor development, agro-food, horticulture.
- When necessary, steps in regarding other tasks within the HC, in particular consular tasks.
- Advises companies and organizations on opportunities for business development in East Java, East Indonesia (ie Sulawesi, Maluku, Maluku Utara, West Papua, Papua). Is able to connect strategic business partners and advices on available support programs/facilities.
- Keeps Indonesian and Dutch partners (government, civil society, academia, private sector) informed about opportunities (and challenges) in these sectors.
- Leads or joins (dependent on the level and number of participants) the preparations for Dutch trade missions in East Java and East Indonesia and supports the missions. Contributes to the preparation of Dutch official visits to East Java and East Indonesia.
- Leads/contributes to the organization of trade promotion and networking events, such as conferences, trade fairs and exhibitions.
Results to be achieved
- Annually organize at least 4 events in collaboration with other stakeholders, either in East Java or elsewhere in East Indonesia. Companies are well aware of business opportunities and sustainability related matters in Indonesia, related to the trade promotion and other instruments available.
- Taking the lead in formulating an “East Indonesia Strategy” to be implemented in collaboration with the HC as well as colleagues from the Embassy and other stakeholders.
- Annually minimum of 12 Achilles (Customer Relation System) active entries. Dutch companies should be satisfied with services delivered.
- Active on social media (in the context of the Communication Strategy of the Embassy).
- Visibility through a pro-active approach, for the Netherlands and the Embassy within the sectors mentioned.
- Pro-active sharing of knowledge with colleagues, in particular the Honorary Consul; contributions to Embassy-wide activities, reports and strategy development.
- Keeping databases with company information up to date.
Working experience and Knowledge
- Relevant university business degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- At least 5 years relevant working experience in government and private sector and affinity with trade and investment promotion. Working experience in East Java including Surabaya and surroundings is a must, while broader experience in East Indonesia is a preference;
- An antenna for commercial opportunities, and good knowledge of relevant economic and political issues.
- Understanding of doing business in both an Indonesian and a Dutch context.
- Experience in cooperating with the Indonesian government, companies and NGOs.
- Fluency in Indonesian and English, both written and orally, is a must.
- Team player
- Pro active
- Result oriented
- Common sense
- Strong organizational skills
- Analytical ability
C. Working Environment
The senior economic policy advisor is employed within the Honorary Consulate in Surabaya that employs 2 staff. The senior economic policy advisor will report to the Honorary Consul for trade and investment promotion issues.
The Honorary Consulate in Surabaya is responsible for consular and economic diplomacy, especially promoting and facilitating bilateral trade and investment in East Java. The Honorary Consulate is part of the network of official Dutch representations in Indonesia that currently has around 90 staff members.
The Senior Economic Policy Advisor will work in and from the office of the Honorary Consulate in Surabaya. The nature of the assignment regularly requires staff to work outside of normal working hours. Occasional travel to project sites and commercially important parts of East Indonesia will be part of the job.
Description of employee
A seasoned government official and/or business developer with relevant working experience. Has a sound network in East Java and preferably in East Indonesia, while a network in the Netherlands would be “nice to have”, among companies, government authorities, and NGO’s. Is able to demonstrate his/her professional knowledge in meetings/papers, and can weigh diverging interests against each other. Understands issues and expectations regarding trade and investment promotion, as well as relevant government instruments in the Netherlands and Indonesia. Is able to work as member of a team. Is flexible as to the exact assignments and fields covered.
Information, application and deadline:
For information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 021 524 1060.
For applications, please send to email@example.com
Deadline is January 24, 2018.