Taking a deceased person out of the Netherlands

Do you wish to transport the body of a deceased person from the Netherlands to a foreign country? To do this, you need transportation authorisation from the municipality where the person died. This is called a laissez-passer. In most cases, the funeral director submits the application for you.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Laissez-passer to transport a deceased person abroad

The person passed away outside the Netherlands

Did the person pass away outside the Netherlands? And do you want to transport them to the Netherlands? If so, you need to contact the municipality or local authority where the person passed away.

You (or a funeral director) must also register the death. In the Hague you must do so via e-mail to the municipality if the person is registered in the Hague. For more information to register a death in the municipality the Hague check: Register a death

The person passed away in the Netherlands

Did the person pass away in the Netherlands? And do you want to have  them  transported outside the Netherlands? Did the person pass away in the Hague? If so, the funeral director must register the death. To do so, the undertaker must make an appointment with the municipality of the Hague.

Making an appointment with the municipality

An undertaker (funeral director) can arrange a laissez-passer at the Overlijdensloket at City Hall Spui. The laissez-passer is available in Dutch, English, French and German. The undertaker can make an appointment via:


Send an email to

By telephone

Phone Monday to Friday from 8.30 to 17.00 hrs. on tel. 14070. From abroad call: +31 70 353 30 00

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of The Hague

Last updated on 26 September 2022