Netherlands Worldwide

Requesting permission to take off or land outside an airport

Do you want to take off or land your aircraft, such as a helicopter or a glider, outside an airport? Then you need a dispensation for temporary and exceptional use (tijdelijk en uitzonderlijk gebruik – TUG). You can apply for a TUG dispensation from the province.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your province.

Take off or land outside an airport (exemption for temporary and exceptional use: TUG-ontheffing)

It is prohibited to take off or land an aircraft outside an airport. Aircraft include, for example, helicopters, paragliders and gliders. You need a ‘temporary and exceptional use’ (TUG) exemption if you wish to be exempt from this prohibition. You must submit an application to the province. Do you fly a drone? If the drone is heavier than 250 grams, you will need a flying licence. For this, you must first take a knowledge test online at an approved flight school. Do you own a drone? You need an operating number.

The aircraft for which you may obtain an exemption are:

  • helicopters
  • hot-air balloons
  • gliders (except screen gliders) microlight aircraft (MLA)
  • unmanned aerial vehicles (drones) from 25 to 150 kg
  • seaplanes, agricultural aircraft, airships, aircraft for an air show.

You apply for the exemption with the province.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Province of Groningen

Last updated on 2 June 2023