Netherlands Worldwide

Reporting soil pollution or soil degradation

Have you noticed that soil in your area is polluted or damaged? For example, are there harmful substances in the soil of your garden or in your neighbourhood? If so, you must report this to your province as soon as possible. You must also report it if you carry out work that may pollute or damage the soil. 

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your province.

Notify us of soil contamination or degradation

Once contamination and/or degradation of soil has been established this should be reported as soon as possible. This also applies if you carry out or have work carried out any activity that may contaminate, pollute or damage the soil. The activities referred to here are set out in Wet bodembescherming (Wbb). These include for example: activities that may result in erosion (decomposition), compaction or salinisation of the soil; activities that require certain substances to be deposited on or in the soil in order to affect the structure or quality of the soil; and other activities involving interventions or the use of substances that may pollute or damage the soil.


Contact details are not yet available for your province.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Public Information Service

Last updated on 17 January 2023