Registering a stillborn baby in the Netherlands
A stillbirth is registered with the municipality in which the child was born. The municipality then issues a birth certificate (geboorteakte) for a stillbirth. It does not matter how long the pregnancy lasted.
A birth certificate for a stillbirth is an official document, proving that your baby was born.
The birth certificate for a stillbirth is recorded in the Registers van de burgerlijke stand (Register of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships)
Choosing a surname for a stillborn baby
You may choose your child’s surname, which can be either the father’s or the mother’s surname. This choice does not affect the names of any subsequent children, meaning that you can choose a different surname in the future.
You can also register your stillborn baby in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP) if you wish. This is a different procedure from registering the birth of your baby as stillborn.
The birth of a stillborn baby is registered with the municipality where your baby was born. For any questions, please contact the municipality.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Municipality of Voorschoten: Registering a stillborn baby
A stillbirth can be registered by:
- the father or female partner of the mother;
- the mother;
- an employee of the hospital;
- the funeral home;
- others who know about the death.
Registration in the BRP
You can register your stillborn child in the Basisregistratie Personen – BRP (Personal Records Database) if you live or will be living in the Netherlands.
The death must be registered before the funeral or cremation takes place.
- A Verklaring van overlijden (death certificate). You will receive this from the doctor.
- Proof of your identity (passport, identity card or driving licence).
- Your trouwboekje (Livret de Famille or Family Book) (if you have one).
- An extract or official copy of an Erkenningsakte (acknowledgement of parenthood certificate) (if you have one).
- An official copy of an Akte van naamskeuze (surname choice certificate (if you have one).
If your child was stillborn, make an appointment with the municipality where your child was born to register the birth. It is possible to erkennen (acknowledge parenthood) of your stillborn child upon registration. You can also have your child recorded in your trouwboekje (Livret de Famille or Family Book).
Levenloos geboren kind registreren | Voorschoten
It is free to have a certificate drawn up.
You pay a fee for an afschrift (official copy) of the certificate. For more information, contact the municipality.
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Municipality of Voorschoten