Netherlands Worldwide

Registering a stillborn baby in the Netherlands

A stillbirth is registered with the municipality in which the child was born. The municipality then issues a birth certificate (geboorteakte) for a stillbirth. It does not matter how long the pregnancy lasted.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of Houten: Registering a stillborn baby

A stillbirth can be registered by:

  • the father or female partner of the mother;
  • the mother;
  • an employee of the hospital;
  • the funeral home;
  • others who know about the death.

Registering in BRP

You can register your stillborn child in the Basic Registration of Persons (BRP) if you live or will live in the Netherlands.

The request can be made retroactively; children born lifeless earlier can also be included in the basic registration. The only condition is that you were registered in the Netherlands at the time of birth.
No minimum duration of pregnancy is required for registration in the BRP.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Houten

Last updated on 27 September 2022