Netherlands Worldwide

Registering a stillborn baby in the Netherlands

A stillbirth is registered with the municipality in which the child was born. The municipality then issues a birth certificate (geboorteakte) for a stillbirth. It does not matter how long the pregnancy lasted.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of Arnhem: Registering a stillborn baby

If your child was stillborn, you must make an appointment with the municipality where your child was born to have this registered. It is possible to acknowledge a stillborn child upon registration. You can also have your child added to your marriage booklet.

Registering a stillborn child may be done by:

  • the father or co-mother;
  • the mother;
  • a hospital staff member;
  • the funeral director;
  • others who know of the death.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Arnhem

Last updated on 27 September 2022