Netherlands Worldwide

Registering a foreign document in the Netherlands

Do you have a foreign document, such as a birth certificate, a death certificate or divorce documents? If you are a citizen of the Netherlands or a refugee with a temporary asylum residence permit (statushouder) you must register it with the municipality where you live.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Legislation/verification of documents from countries outside of the European Union

Please find more information on this subject on the website of Leiden municipality.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Leiden

Visiting address

Last updated on 22 September 2022