Netherlands Worldwide

Registering a foreign document in the Netherlands

Do you have a foreign document, such as a birth certificate, a death certificate or divorce documents? If you are a citizen of the Netherlands or a refugee with a temporary asylum residence permit (statushouder) you must register it with the municipality where you live.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Registering a foreign marriage in the Netherlands

Are you married abroad? Register your marriage at the municipality where you are registered.


After getting married abroad, you must register your marriage in the Netherlands. Not every marriage is valid in the Netherlands. For example, both partners must be 18 years of age or older at the time of registration.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Goeree-Overflakkee

Visiting address

Last updated on 22 September 2022