Registering the ending of a civil partnership in the civil registry in the Netherlands
Have you had your civil partnership ended by a lawyer or notary? Then they will register the final order (Akte ontbinding van geregistreerd partnerschap) with the civil registry (burgerlijke stand). Have you had your civil partnership ended by a court? Then the court will have the final order registered with the civil registry.
Ending a civil partnership outside of the courts
Your lawyer or notary sends the final order to the civil registry for registration. This is done within 3 months.
Ending a civil partnership by a judge in court
If a judge ends your civil partnership, registration with the civil registry follows within 6 months.
The final order should be registered with the registry office of the municipality where you formed your civil partnership. You must do this within 3 months if the final order is issued by a lawyer or notary, 6 months if issued by a court. Only then is your civil partnership legally ended.
Registering the ending of a civil partnership in the marital property register
Did you draw up a civil partnership agreement (partnerschapsvoorwaarden) when you formed your civil partnership? If so you can also register the final order in the marital property register (huwelijksgoederenregister) (in Dutch). You can do this at the district court (in Dutch) that issued the final order.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
If you are divorced in the Netherlands, this must be communicated to the municipality within 6 months of the court's decision. This must be done in the municipality where you were married. Your lawyer will usually arrange this. If you are divorced abroad, you must report this yourself.
Ending a marriage
- Your lawyer will arrange your divorce with the court
- Read more information on divorce or break up
Ending a registered partnership
- Terminating a registered partnership does not always have to be done in court
- Read more information on dissolving a registered partnership
Ending a marriage abroad
- If you are divorced abroad, you must arrange for your divorce to be registered with the municipality where you live. If you are married in the Netherlands, it is wise to have the divorce registered with the municipality where you were married.
- Read more information on divorcing abroad
What do you have to do
- Foreign divorce: You make an appointment. You choose: submitting foreign documents
- Divorce in the Netherlands: You make an appointment. You choose: other products
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Municipality of Hilversum