Netherlands Worldwide

Registering a divorce in the civil registry in the Netherlands

Has a judge has agreed to your divorce (echtscheiding)? Then you and your partner will be sent a copy of the final order (echtscheidingsbeschikking). When does your divorce become final? Once you have registered the final order in the municipality’s civil registry (burgerlijke stand van de gemeente).

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.


Where you register your divorce depends on the country where you are divorced.

Divorced in the Netherlands

Are you divorced in the Netherlands? Then your lawyer will send the divorce decision to the municipality where you were married. 

The municipality will then register your divorce. Do you live in a different municipality than where you got married? The municipality will pass this on to your municipality of residence.

Divorced abroad

Are you divorced abroad and do you live in the Netherlands? Then you must register your foreign divorce in the Personal Records Database (BRP). You do this at the municipality where you are registered.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Nissewaard

Also useful