Netherlands Worldwide

Registering a divorce in the civil registry in the Netherlands

Has a judge has agreed to your divorce (echtscheiding)? Then you and your partner will be sent a copy of the final order (echtscheidingsbeschikking). When does your divorce become final? Once you have registered the final order in the municipality’s civil registry (burgerlijke stand van de gemeente).

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Register a divorce or end of registered partnership

Your divorce or the termination of your registered partnership must be registered with the municipality. You or your lawyer must arrange the registration: 

  • Is it a divorce? Then you can arrange this with the municipality where you got married. 
  • Does it concern the termination of a registered partnership? Then you can arrange this with the municipality where your registered partnership is registered.

You need a court decision or a statement from yourself and your partner stating that you want to end the registered partnership. The divorce is only final if these documents are registered with the municipality in the registers of civil status.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Midden-Delfland

Visiting address