Netherlands Worldwide

Registering a divorce in the civil registry in the Netherlands

Has a judge has agreed to your divorce (echtscheiding)? Then you and your partner will be sent a copy of the final order (echtscheidingsbeschikking). When does your divorce become final? Once you have registered the final order in the municipality’s civil registry (burgerlijke stand van de gemeente).

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of Laarbeek: Registering a divorce in the civil registry

Your lawyer applies for a divorce from the Court. Your lawyer will send the court decision to the municipality where you were married at the time. As soon as the municipality records the divorce in the Civil Registry, the divorce is official.

Termination of partnership
You can terminate your registered partnership in 2 ways. Through the intervention of a judge or by a lawyer or notary. You can only go through a lawyer or notary if you have no minor children together and if you both agree that you want to dissolve the partnership. As soon as the municipality has recorded the court decision or the termination agreement in the Civil Registry, your partnership is definitively terminated. You must always report the termination of your partnership in the municipality where your partnership is registered. If that is the municipality of Laarbeek, make an appointment for this. You can do this by telephone on 0492 469 700.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Laarbeek