Registering a divorce in the civil registry in the Netherlands

Has a judge has agreed to your divorce (echtscheiding)? Then you and your partner will be sent a copy of the final order (echtscheidingsbeschikking). When does your divorce become final? Once you have registered the final order in the municipality’s civil registry (burgerlijke stand van de gemeente).

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of Hof van Twente: Registering a divorce in the civil registry

Where you register your divorce depends on the country where you were divorced.

Divorced in the Netherlands

Are you divorced in the Netherlands? Then your lawyer will send the divorce decree to the municipality where you got married. The municipality will then register your divorce.

Do you live in a different municipality than where you got married? The municipality passes this on to your municipality of residence.

Divorced abroad

Did you get divorced outside of the Netherlands and you live in the Netherlands? Then you must have your divorce registered in the Basisregistratie Personen – BRP (Personal Records Database). You do this at the municipality which you are registered.

You can make an appointment for this with the Civil Affairs Team on +31 0547-858585.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Hof van Twente

Visiting address

Last updated on 23 September 2022