Would you like to report the death of a loved one or someone else? Usually the funeral director will declare the death, but you can also do this yourself. This should be done at the municipality where your loved one died.
When you go to the municipality to register a death, you will need to bring the death statement (verklaring van overlijden) with you. This will be given to you by the doctor who confirmed the death. The death statement is made up of 2 parts: the A-verklaring where the death is officially declared and the B-verklaring which states the cause of death.
After a death has been registered, the Registrar of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships (ambtenaar van de burgerlijke stand) issues the death certificate (Akte van overlijden). The personal details of the deceased appear on the certificate, as well as the name of the informant. It is possible to obtain an excerpt of the certificate.
After issuing the death certificate, the municipality amends the information held on the deceased in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP).
The municipality also issues a document in which it gives permission for the funeral: either the authorisation for burial (verlof tot begraven) or the authorisation for cremation (verlof tot cremeren).
Did the deceased indicate that they wanted to donate their body to science? Then you will be issued a authorisation for dissection (verlof tot ontleding).
You must register a death within 6 working days, and always before the funeral.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Municipality of Papendrecht: Registering a death
Check here what you need to bring for applying (under "meenemen"): Aangifte van Overlijden - Gemeente Papendrecht
Declaration by surviving dependants or the undertaker
You can register the death yourself. You must do this in the municipality where your loved one died. You can also ask the undertaker to register the death for you.
Make an appointment with the municipality of Papendrecht: Een afspraak maken | Gemeente Papendrecht (mijnafspraakmaken.nl)
- Registering a death: free of charge
- Verlof begraven of cremeren (permission for burial or cremation): free of charge
- For informatio about the fee for an ffficial copy of the death certificate, check: Afschrift of uittreksel burgerlijke stand - Gemeente Papendrecht.
- As a surviving dependant, you receive the extract from the death certificate and the verlof tot begraven of cremeren (permission for burial or cremation) immediately.
- Funeral homes should receive the extract and any other documents on the same working day or, at the latest, the next working day.
Contact details are not yet available for your municipality.
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Public Information Service