Registering a civil partnership in the Netherlands

Do you want to form a civil partnership? If so, you must first notify the municipality. You must do this at least 2 weeks and a maximum of 1 year before you want to form the civil partnership.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Getting married or registering a civil partnership

You make a number of choices when planning and registering your intention to enter a civil partnership. These choices relate to the type of ceremony and the venue. The costs depend on your wishes and the possibilities in the municipality of Winterswijk.


The ceremony is the official part of entering your civil partnership. You can choose from:

  • registered partnership free of charge;
  • elaborate ceremony;
  • no ceremony (flash partnership).

If you opt for an elaborate ceremony, a wedding registrar from the municipality leads the ceremony. The wedding registrar of the municipality of Winterswijk  will contact you a few weeks before the scheduled date to get to know you. If you have a preference for a wedding registrar, please inform the municipality.

Do you want a family member or an someone you know to conduct the ceremony? That is only possible if that person is a wedding registrar. Please contact the municipality.

Location of the ceremony

You can hold the ceremony to enter your civil partnership at various locations in the municipality of Winterswijk. You can choose from:

  • a municipal building;
  • a location of your own choice.

If you want to hold the ceremony at a location of your choice, contact the municipality.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Winterswijk

Visiting address

Last updated on 21 September 2022