Registering a civil partnership in the Netherlands

Do you want to form a civil partnership? If so, you must first notify the municipality. You must do this at least 2 weeks and a maximum of 1 year before you want to form the civil partnership.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of Stichtse Vecht: Registering a civil partnership

Civil partnership

  • 2 ways to formally arrange your relationship with partner: marriage or civil partnership
  • marriage and civil partnership are legally equivalent.

Converting civil partnership into marriage

  • possible in any municipality in the Netherlands.
  • make an appointment
  • bring valid identification
  • bring the certificate with you if the registered partnership took place in another municipality

How it works

The registrar draws up a deed of conversion. The conversion ends the civil partnership and the marriage begins. There is no ceremony involved.

Conversion with ceremony

The conversion can also take place with a ceremony at one of the municipality's wedding locations. There are costs associated with this. No witness is required, no marriage booklet is made up and you do not have to say yes. See more information at (in Dutch).

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Stichtse Vecht

Visiting address

Last updated on 21 September 2022