Registering a civil partnership in the Netherlands
Do you want to form a civil partnership? If so, you must first notify the municipality. You must do this at least 2 weeks and a maximum of 1 year before you want to form the civil partnership.
The registration of a civil partnership is subject to a number of conditions (in Dutch), such as:
- you must be at least 18 years of age;
- you cannot enter into a civil partnership with someone who is already married or in a civil partnership
- you cannot be related to one other, e.g. grandparent, grandchild, parent, child or sibling.
Do you want to enter a civil partnership in the Netherlands with a foreign citizen? There are other conditions that must be met.
For more information on registering a civil partnership, visit your municipality’s website.
Also check what you need to take into account if you decide to marry or form a civil partnership.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Marriage or registered partnership
You make a number of choices when planning and registering your intention to enter a civil partnership. These choices relate to the type of ceremony and the venue. The costs depend on your wishes and the possibilities in the municipality of Midden-Groningen.
The ceremony is the official part of entering your civil partnership. You can choose from:
- no ceremony (free of charge);
- simple ceremony;
- elaborate ceremony.
If you choose an elaborate ceremony, you can choose who leads the ceremony. You can choose from:
- wedding registrar from the municipality;
- family member or acquaintance.
If you choose a wedding registrar from the municipality, a registrar from the municipality of XXX will contact you a few weeks before the planned date to introduce themselves and find out more about you and your partner.
Do you want a family member or an someone you know to conduct the ceremony? If so, you must contact the municipality yourself.
Location of the ceremony
You can hold the ceremony to enter your civil partnership at various locations in the municipality of XXX. You can choose from:
- a municipal building;
- a location of your own choice.
If you want to hold the ceremony at a location of your choice, contact the municipality.
- You are both 18 years or older. You are not married to anyone else.
- You do not have a registered partnership with anyone else.
- You may not be directly related to each other, so for example not your father, (grand) daughter, brother.
- You are not under guardianship.
- If you are under guardianship, you need permission from the curator or subdistrict court judge.
- There must be a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 4 witnesses. The witnesses are 18 years or older.
- Do you have to provide papers that come from abroad? That can sometimes take a very long time. Be sure to contact the municipality a few months before the notification.
- Are you postponing marriage or registering your partnership in connection with Corona? And is there 1 year or more between your report and the new date? Then contact the municipality.
- In special situations, first consult with the municipality about the papers that are required. This applies, for example: if you were born abroad do not have a residence permit if you do not have Dutch nationality if you have lived abroad or if a previous marriage was dissolved abroad
Registering an intended civil partnership
You register your intended civil partnership with the municipality in which you wish to enter the civil partnership. Provide the details of yourself, your partner and your witnesses. This can be done up to 2 weeks before the ceremony date. You can do it online or at the town hall.
Opportunities in the House of Culture and Governance
- Monday to Friday between 09:00 and 17:00 with ceremony: € 340.25
- On Monday to Friday between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. with ceremony, if you are married by a marriage official from another municipality: € 233.60
- Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday between 09:00 and 12:00 without ceremony. Maximum 10 people including bridal couple (flash wedding): € 92.10 Get married or register a partnership for free, without ceremony on Wednesday morning at 09:00 or 09:30 (Only for residents of the municipality of Midden-Groningen). A maximum of 6 people may be present during the ceremony. These are the bridal couple and a maximum of 4 witnesses. No other guests.
At a self-chosen wedding location with ceremony, without the costs charged by the wedding location
- Monday to Friday until 5 p.m.: € 322.50
- Monday to Friday from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.: € 358.80
- Monday to Friday until 5 p.m., performed by our own wedding official for 1 day: € 181.75
- Monday to Friday from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m., performed by a private wedding official for 1 day: € 215.35
Any further costs
- If municipal officials testify when getting married or registering a partnership, it costs per witness: € 26.75
- A certificate of legal capacity to marry: € 25.10
- A statement of unmarried status: € 10.05
- An original or duplicate of a marriage or partnership booklet: € 19.00
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Municipality of Midden-Groningen