Registering a civil partnership in the Netherlands

Do you want to form a civil partnership? If so, you must first notify the municipality. You must do this at least 2 weeks and a maximum of 1 year before you want to form the civil partnership.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Registering a civil partnership

You and your partner want to formally arrange your relationship, which can be done by getting married or by entering into a registered partnership. These are the differences and similarities between the two forms.


  • A partnership is not recognized in all countries in the world. 
  • A marriage is always recognized. 
  • A partnership may be ordained by a clergyman before the legal consummation. 
  • A marriage may be blessed by a clergyman after the legal solemnization.
  • A partnership does not have to be terminated by the court if you do not have minor children. This form of termination is not accepted abroad. 
  • A marriage can only be dissolved in court through divorce.


  • You have the same rights and obligations with both forms. 
  • In both forms you have joint custody of the children born during the union. 
  • You need 2, 3 or 4 witnesses at the ceremony for both forms. 
  • In both forms you report the intended ceremony to the municipality. 
  • You must meet the same conditions for both forms. You submit the same documents for both forms. 
  • You can contract in either form if you are partners of the same sex. 
  • You can have your name changed for both forms.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Midden-Delfland

Visiting address

Last updated on 21 September 2022