Registering a civil partnership in the Netherlands
Do you want to form a civil partnership? If so, you must first notify the municipality. You must do this at least 2 weeks and a maximum of 1 year before you want to form the civil partnership.
The registration of a civil partnership is subject to a number of conditions (in Dutch), such as:
- you must be at least 18 years of age;
- you cannot enter into a civil partnership with someone who is already married or in a civil partnership
- you cannot be related to one other, e.g. grandparent, grandchild, parent, child or sibling.
Do you want to enter a civil partnership in the Netherlands with a foreign citizen? There are other conditions that must be met.
For more information on registering a civil partnership, visit your municipality’s website.
Also check what you need to take into account if you decide to marry or form a civil partnership.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Municipality of Hoogeveen: Registering a civil partnership
You make a number of choices when planning and registering your intention to enter a civil partnership. These choices relate to the type of ceremony and the venue. The costs depend on your wishes and the possibilities in the municipality of Hoogeveen.
The ceremony is the official part of entering your civil partnership. You can choose from:
- no ceremony (free of charge);
- modest ceremony;
- elaborate ceremony.
If you choose an elaborate ceremony, you can choose which wedding officiant is going to lead the ceremony.
Location of the ceremony
You can pick where the ceremony is going to take place. The ceremony can be held at the municipality, but you can also request to have the ceremony at your house, at a restaurant or in a partytent in a farmer's pasture. Before making such requests please be aware that any permits must be arranged before requesting to hold a ceremony in a venue of your choice.
- You can not be forced into marriage.
- Are you under guardianship? You will need permission from the guardian or a cantonal judge.
- Were you born abroad? have you lived abroad? Are you not in possession of the Dutch nationality? Are you living abroad, but would you like to get married in the Netherlands? Depending on your personal circumstances you and your partner might need different documents. If this is the case then please contact us: +31528291911 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For a marriage or civil partnership to be valid there has to be a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 4 witnesses. Anyone above the age of 18 can be a witness. Have you picked your witnesses? You can enclose a copy of their IDs along with the marriage and civil partnership form.
- The form notice of intended marriage or civil partnership or "melding voorgenomen huwelijk of geregistreerd partnerschap"
- Do you have a foreign nationality? Please make sure you take the form notice of intended marriage or civil partnership residence permit with you.
- Copy of valid proof of identity (ID-card, passport or a driver's license) of you and your partner.
- Copy of valid proof of identity of your witnesses (minimum of 2 and a maximum of 4). Anyone above 18 years of age is allowed to be a witness.
You apply for a civil partnership at the municipality where you wish to complete your partnership. You can book an appointment for this online.
Notifying the municipality of your intent to enter civil partnership is free of charge. You would pay cancellation fees if the marriage or civil partnership is cancelled 4 weeks or less before the original planned date. For more information contact us: +31528291911 or email@example.com.
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Municipality of Hoogeveen
9:00 - 17:00
9:00 - 17:00
9:00 - 17:00
9:00 - 20:00
9:00 - 13:00