Netherlands Worldwide

Registering a civil partnership in the Netherlands

Do you want to form a civil partnership? If so, you must first notify the municipality. You must do this at least 2 weeks and a maximum of 1 year before you want to form the civil partnership.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of Hoogeveen: Registering a civil partnership

You make a number of choices when planning and registering your intention to enter a civil partnership. These choices relate to the type of ceremony and the venue. The costs depend on your wishes and the possibilities in the municipality of Hoogeveen.


The ceremony is the official part of entering your civil partnership. You can choose from:

  • no ceremony (free of charge);
  • modest ceremony;
  • elaborate ceremony.

If you choose an elaborate ceremony, you can choose which wedding officiant is going to lead the ceremony.

Location of the ceremony

You can pick where the ceremony is going to take place. The ceremony can be held at the municipality, but you can also request to have the ceremony at your house, at a restaurant or in a partytent in a farmer's pasture. Before making such requests please be aware that any permits must be arranged before requesting to hold a ceremony in a venue of your choice.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Hoogeveen

Visiting address

Last updated on 21 September 2022