Netherlands Worldwide

Registering a civil partnership in the Netherlands

Do you want to form a civil partnership? If so, you must first notify the municipality. You must do this at least 2 weeks and a maximum of 1 year before you want to form the civil partnership.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Statement no marriage or partnership of convenience

Do you or your partner have the nationality of a country outside the European Union? And do you want to enter into a marriage or partnership in the Netherlands? Then you must declare that you are not doing this in order to obtain a residence permit.

Declaration when reporting a marriage or partnership

You need a 'Statement of no marriage/partnership of convenience':

  • If you are not a national of a member state of the European Union, Liechtenstein, Iceland, Norway or Switzerland.
  • OR: If you are a foreign national and do not have a regular residence permit (document II) or asylum permit (document IV) for an indefinite period of time.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Groningen

Last updated on 21 September 2022