Netherlands Worldwide

Registering a civil partnership in the Netherlands

Do you want to form a civil partnership? If so, you must first notify the municipality. You must do this at least 2 weeks and a maximum of 1 year before you want to form the civil partnership.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of Etten-Leur: Registering a civil partnership

You make a number of choices when planning and registering your intention to enter a civil partnership. These choices relate to the type of ceremony and the venue. The costs depend on your wishes and the possibilities in the municipality of Etten-Leur.


The ceremony is the official part of your civil partnership. There are three possibilities for a ceremony:

  • consulting room (spreekkamer);
  • municipal location;
  • other location in Etten-Leur.

If you opt for a ceremony at a municipal location or an other location in Etten-Leur, you determine who leads the ceremony. You have the following choices:

  • wedding registrar from the municipality;
  • family member or acquaintance.

If you choose a wedding registrar from the municipality, a registrar from the municipality of Etten-Leur will contact you a few weeks before the planned date to introduce themselves and find out more about you and your partner.

Do you want a family member or an someone you know to conduct the ceremony? If so, you must contact the municipality yourself.


Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Etten-Leur

Visiting address

Last updated on 21 September 2022