Registering a civil partnership in the Netherlands
Do you want to form a civil partnership? If so, you must first notify the municipality. You must do this at least 2 weeks and a maximum of 1 year before you want to form the civil partnership.
The registration of a civil partnership is subject to a number of conditions (in Dutch), such as:
- you must be at least 18 years of age;
- you cannot enter into a civil partnership with someone who is already married or in a civil partnership
- you cannot be related to one other, e.g. grandparent, grandchild, parent, child or sibling.
Do you want to enter a civil partnership in the Netherlands with a foreign citizen? There are other conditions that must be met.
For more information on registering a civil partnership, visit your municipality’s website.
Also check what you need to take into account if you decide to marry or form a civil partnership.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Municipality of Amsterdam: Registering a civil partnership
You make a number of choices when planning and registering your intention to enter a civil partnership. These choices relate to the type of ceremony and the venue. The costs depend on your wishes and the possibilities in the municipality of Amsterdam.
The ceremony is the official part of entering your civil partnership. You can choose from:
- no ceremony - free of charge
- simple ceremony;
- elaborate ceremony.
If you choose an elaborate ceremony, you can choose who leads the ceremony. You can choose from:
- wedding registrar from the municipality;
- family member or acquaintance.
If you choose a wedding registrar from the municipality, a registrar from the municipality will contact you a few weeks before the planned date to introduce themselves and find out more about you and your partner.
Do you want a family member or an someone you know to conduct the ceremony? If so, you must contact the municipality yourself.
Location of the ceremony
You can hold the ceremony to enter your civil partnership at various locations in the municipality. You can choose from:
- a municipal building;
- a location of your own choice.
If you want to hold the ceremony at a location of your choice, contact the municipality.
- a valid identity document for you and your partner;
- a copy of the identity documents of your witnesses.
If you are from outside the Netherlands, the municipality will need additional information. Contact the municipality to provide that information.
Registering an intended civil partnership
You register your intended civil partnership with the municipality in which you wish to enter the civil partnership. Provide the details of yourself, your partner and your witnesses. This can be done up to 6 weeks before the ceremony date. You can do it online or at the town hall.
Online announcement if you are both Dutch citizens
If you both have Dutch nationality and both live in the Netherlands, you can announce your partnership online with DigiD.
Announcing at the City Office
You can visit one of the City Offices.
- no ceremony: free of charge
- simple ceremony: € 177.20
- elaborate ceremony: € 831.40
- location in the city: depends on location, day and time. For more information, contact the municipality.
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Municipality of Amsterdam