Netherlands Worldwide

Paying the sewage charge

You pay a sewage charge (rioolheffing) for your wastewater and for rainwater that ends up in the sewer. The sewage charge is part of the municipal taxes and is collected by the municipality, which uses that money to pay for maintenance and replacement of the sewers. Some municipalities also call the sewage charge sewage tax (rioolbelasting).

This is how it works in your (future) place of residence

Your (future) place of residence falls under the Municipality of Hendrik-Ido-Ambacht.

Sewage charges

You pay tax for the processing of rainwater and groundwater and the maintenance of the sewer. You will receive an assessment for this if you live in the municipality or have a business there. Even if your building is not directly connected to the sewer. This is called sewerage charges.

You will usually receive an assessment at the end of February via or by post. You can also view your assessment online at the Digital Tax Desk.


If you move to another municipality, you will pay sewage charges to the municipality of Hendrik-Ido-Ambacht up to and including the month in which you move. You will be refunded the overpaid money.


If you are the owner of a home or business premises on 1 January of the tax year, you will pay sewage charges for that entire year. Even if you have sold your property. The situation as of 1 January therefore applies for the whole year. You can (partly) settle the sewage charge with the buyer. This settlement must take place at the notary during the transfer of ownership. You arrange this yourself.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Hendrik-Ido-Ambacht

Last updated on 26 September 2022