Paying parking tax
Parking your car or other vehicle is not free everywhere and at all times in the Netherlands. In some areas and at certain times you have to pay for parking. By paying for parking you also pay parking tax (parkeerbelasting). If you do not pay for parking where and when necessary you will be charged a penalty. This penalty is called a parking ticket (parkeerbon). If you disagree with the penalty you can challenge it with the municipality.
Sometimes it is unclear whether you have paid for parking, for example if:
- the parking attendant cannot see your parking receipt in your vehicle’s window;
- the parking period on the receipt has expired;
- you have not paid for your parking using a parking app;
- you have not registered your car’s registration number in the parking app.
You will then receive a notice to pay for parking, plus the penalty.
Do you disagree with a penalty and wish to challenge it? You can contact the municipality that issued it. The municipality will then inform you of the conditions under which the parking ticket was issued. The municipality will also explain what you must do if you have received a parking ticket, and how to challenge the penalty if you disagree.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
If you have not paid for parking, you will be charged a penalty. This is referred to as a parkeerbon (parking ticket). You receive this parking ticket from your municipality.
The cost of a parking ticket is: € 72.90. You must also pay the hourly rate (or half-hourly rate) for the parking spot. This is € 0.10, € 0.20, € 2.50 or € 6.50 in 2023.
You can pay the parking ticket in the following ways:
Via iDEAL. You do this by logging in to ‘MijnDenHaag’ service. You need your DigiD to do this. Click here to pay the ticket via MijnDenHaag.
You can transfer the money to:
* Name: Gem Den Haag - Belastingen
* Account number: NL12 BNGH 0285 1336 75
* Specifying the following: State the payment reference on the parking ticket. The municipality can then process your payment. Are you paying from abroad? Then also note the BIC (SWIFT code) in your bank transfer: BNGHNL2G (Bank Nederlandse Gemeenten).
The municipality will send you the parking ticket within 7 working days.
You must pay the parking ticket within 17 days. What happens if you do not pay on time? You will be charged a further penalty.
Do you disagree with the charge? If so, you can lodge a complaint. You can do so by post or online. You must do so within 6 weeks.
Also see: Challenge a parking ticket
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Municipality of The Hague