Paying parking tax
Parking your car or other vehicle is not free everywhere and at all times in the Netherlands. In some areas and at certain times you have to pay for parking. By paying for parking you also pay parking tax (parkeerbelasting). If you do not pay for parking where and when necessary you will be charged a penalty. This penalty is called a parking ticket (parkeerbon). If you disagree with the penalty you can challenge it with the municipality.
Sometimes it is unclear whether you have paid for parking, for example if:
- the parking attendant cannot see your parking receipt in your vehicle’s window;
- the parking period on the receipt has expired;
- you have not paid for your parking using a parking app;
- you have not registered your car’s registration number in the parking app.
You will then receive a notice to pay for parking, plus the penalty.
Do you disagree with a penalty and wish to challenge it? You can contact the municipality that issued it. The municipality will then inform you of the conditions under which the parking ticket was issued. The municipality will also explain what you must do if you have received a parking ticket, and how to challenge the penalty if you disagree.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
In Hilversum you have to pay for parking in several areas. This is called parking fee or parking tax. If you pay too little or no parking fee, you will receive a parking fine.
- See the possible costs for parking fees on Hilversum.nl.
- See the possible costs for parking fines on Hilversum.nl.
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Municipality of Hilversum