Notifying the municipality when you move home
Are you moving home within the Netherlands? If so, notify the new municipality where you are going to live of your move. The new municipality will register you at your new address. You do not need to deregister from your old municipality.
The move can be notified by:
- anyone aged 16 or older;
- cohabiting spouses / civil partners on behalf of each other;
- the parent, guardian or caregiver on behalf of minor children;
- parents on behalf of adult children living with them;
- adult children on behalf of parents living with them;
- the conservator on behalf of a person placed under a conservatorship;
- an authorised representative.
You must notify the new municipality where you are going to live that you are moving home. You must inform it of your new address no later than 4 weeks before the moving date, or within 5 days after the moving date.
Contact your new municipality for more information.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Report your move
Please note: you can notify the municipality when you move house only if you live in the Netherlands and are already registered with a municipality.
Please note: Are you going to move within The Hague or to The Hague? Report your change of address to the municipality online. Are you moving from The Hague to another municipality in the Netherlands? Then you don't report your change of adress here. You only have to report the move to the municipality in your new place of residence.
Providing notification of your move
Log in using your DigiD and provide notification of your move online. You'll need the following to complete the notification:
- Your DigiD login information.
- Proof of your new address, for example a signed purchase deed or rental contract.
- If you are going to move in with somebody, then you need permission from the main occupant. Read more on the page Proof of Occupancy.
You can also provide notification of your move by post. Print out the moving form, fill it in. And also send it together with the following required documents:
- a copy of a valid passport, driving licence or identity card
- a copy of a proof of your new address, for example a signed purchase deed or rental contract.
- If you are going to move in with somebody, then you need permission from the main occupant (see the page Proof of occupancy)
Send the moving form together with the required documents to:
Gemeente Den Haag
Unit Beheer en Verstrekkingen
2500 DL Den Haag
At the service desk
Is it not working for you to apply online? Or are there special circumstances? Then you might be able to visit the emergency desk. More information and the conditions can be found under Make an appointment at the municipality.
It is free to notify a move.
When your move will be processed depends on when you report the change in address:
- Are you reporting the change in address between 4 weeks before the move and no more than 5 working days after your move? The municipality will register you on the date you indicated.
- Are you reporting the change in address later? Then the municipality will register you on the date it received your change of address.
Because it is extremely busy, it can take longer than usual to process your change in address. Anticipate that it can take up to 14 days before your new address is registered in the system.
Moving from the Netherlands or to the Netherlands
Are you moving outside the Netherlands? If so, go to Report your move abroad (deregistration).
Are you moving to the Netherlands? If so, go to Moving to The Hague from abroad.
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Municipality of The Hague