Notifying the municipality when you move home
Are you moving home within the Netherlands? If so, notify the new municipality where you are going to live of your move. The new municipality will register you at your new address. You do not need to deregister from your old municipality.
The move can be notified by:
- anyone aged 16 or older;
- cohabiting spouses / civil partners on behalf of each other;
- the parent, guardian or caregiver on behalf of minor children;
- parents on behalf of adult children living with them;
- adult children on behalf of parents living with them;
- the conservator on behalf of a person placed under a conservatorship;
- an authorised representative.
You must notify the new municipality where you are going to live that you are moving home. You must inform it of your new address no later than 4 weeks before the moving date, or within 5 days after the moving date.
Contact your new municipality for more information.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Reporting a Relocation
If you are relocating to the municipality of Montferland, you must notify the municipality of Montferland. You must do this too if you are relocating within the municipality of Montferland.
The following people may notify us of a relocation:
- Anyone aged 16 years and above for themselves;
- Cohabiting spouses/registered partners for each other (only if they are both relocating together from one address to another);
- The parent, guardian or carer of minor children;
- Parent(s) of adult children living at home (only if they are relocating together from one address to another);
- Adult children of parents living at home (only if they are relocating together from one address to another);
- The legal guardian of a person under guardianship;
- The head of the institution for residents of an institution;
- Someone authorised by you to report the relocation on your behalf;
Authorising someone to notify the municipality of a relocation on your behalf
In order to authorise someone to notify the municipality on your behalf, write a letter containing the following information:
'I, (your initials, last name, date of birth, place of birth and address), hereby authorise the following person, (initials, last name, date of birth, place of birth and address of the person acting on your behalf), to act on my behalf and report my relocation from (old address) to (new address).'
Sign this letter and give it to the person you have authorised to report your relocation.
The person authorised to report your relocation must show the following at the municipal desk:
- Their valid proof of identity;
- (a copy of) your valid proof of identity
- A proof of your new address, for example a contract of sale or a lease, or the authorisation of the head of household if you are going to live in someone else's house;
- The signed authorisation letter.
- You report your relocation online with your DigiD. If you do not have a DigiD yet, request one online at DigiD.nl. You will receive a DigiD login code within a few days to your home.
Reporting in person
- Your valid proof of identity.
Reporting in writing
- The municipality's relocation form;
- Your signature on the form;
- A copy of your valid proof of identity.
Reporting a change of address is free of charge.
The municipality will update your address details within 5 working days.
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Municipality of Montferland