Notifying the municipality when you move home
Are you moving home within the Netherlands? If so, notify the new municipality where you are going to live of your move. The new municipality will register you at your new address. You do not need to deregister from your old municipality.
The move can be notified by:
- anyone aged 16 or older;
- cohabiting spouses / civil partners on behalf of each other;
- the parent, guardian or caregiver on behalf of minor children;
- parents on behalf of adult children living with them;
- adult children on behalf of parents living with them;
- the conservator on behalf of a person placed under a conservatorship;
- an authorised representative.
You must notify the new municipality where you are going to live that you are moving home. You must inform it of your new address no later than 4 weeks before the moving date, or within 5 days after the moving date.
Contact your new municipality for more information.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Municipality of Groningen: Notifying the municipality when you move home
Please note. You can only report your move if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.
Report a change of address
Log in with DigiD and report your move online. It isn't possible to report this in English yet.
You can also report your removal by post. Send a letter to the Municipality of Groningen, Postbus 30026, 9700 RM Groningen.
Enclose the following items with your letter:
- Rental - or purchase agreement.
- If you don’t have a rental agreement: Permission form (pdf 53 kB) by the owner or one of the adult residents.
- Copy of a valid ID of the person who gives permission.
- Personal information.
- Moving date.
- Old and new address.
- Telephone number.
- Names of the people that are moving with you.
- Copy of valid ID (passport, ID card or driver's license) of all moving persons.
Reporting your move is free of charge.
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Municipality of Groningen