Netherlands Worldwide

Changing the registration of gender on official documents

Do you want to change the registration of your gender designation on your official documents? If so, it must first be changed on your birth certificate. For people born in the Netherlands, this is done in the municipality where you were born. If you want a gender-neutral birth certificate, you can send a request to the district court.  After the registration of your gender has been changed on your birth certificate, you can apply for a new passport, identity card or driving licence.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:
If you change gender, you can have this adjusted in the municipality where you were born. This is stated on your birth certificate. If you apply for an official new travel document or driver's license afterwards, the new gender is also stated on it. For more information, please visit: You can apply for gender neutrality only through the court.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Oude IJsselstreek

Visiting address

Last updated on 22 September 2022