Netherlands Worldwide

Changing the registration of gender on official documents

Do you want to change the registration of your gender designation on your official documents? If so, it must first be changed on your birth certificate. For people born in the Netherlands, this is done in the municipality where you were born. If you want a gender-neutral birth certificate, you can send a request to the district court.  After the registration of your gender has been changed on your birth certificate, you can apply for a new passport, identity card or driving licence.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Change to the basic registration of persons (BRP)

Please note: you can only change the registration of your gender if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

Do you want to change your personal data in the population register? That is possible. For example, at your request, the municipality can delete historical data about this after adoption or gender change. In other cases, such as registration or deregistration, name change and the like, the personal data in the BRP are automatically changed.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Moerdijk

Visiting address

Last updated on 22 September 2022