Netherlands Worldwide

Changing the registration of gender on official documents

Do you want to change the registration of your gender designation on your official documents? If so, it must first be changed on your birth certificate. For people born in the Netherlands, this is done in the municipality where you were born. If you want a gender-neutral birth certificate, you can send a request to the district court.  After the registration of your gender has been changed on your birth certificate, you can apply for a new passport, identity card or driving licence.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Notification of change in registration of gender

If you have changed your gender, you can have this adjusted in the Personal Records Database (BRP). You can have your gender changed from 'man' to 'woman', or vice versa.

Declaration of gender change is free of charge. Keep in mind the costs for renewing your passport, identity card and / or driver's license. After the declaration of gender change, these are no longer valid. 

How does it work?

There are four steps:

  1. Arrange a declaration of expertise;
  2. Make an appointment with the civil registry in your place of birth (or in The Hague);
  3. Applying for a new ID card or passport;
  4. Inform other authorities.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Midden-Delfland

Visiting address

Last updated on 22 September 2022