Netherlands Worldwide

Changing the registration of gender on official documents

Do you want to change the registration of your gender designation on your official documents? If so, it must first be changed on your birth certificate. For people born in the Netherlands, this is done in the municipality where you were born. If you want a gender-neutral birth certificate, you can send a request to the district court.  After the registration of your gender has been changed on your birth certificate, you can apply for a new passport, identity card or driving licence.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Gender registration change

You can request a gender reassignment on the birth certificate in the municipality where you were born. You make an appointment for this. If you wish, you can also have your first name or first names changed.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Hilversum

Last updated on 22 September 2022