Netherlands Worldwide

Changing the registration of gender on official documents

Do you want to change the registration of your gender designation on your official documents? If so, it must first be changed on your birth certificate. For people born in the Netherlands, this is done in the municipality where you were born. If you want a gender-neutral birth certificate, you can send a request to the district court.  After the registration of your gender has been changed on your birth certificate, you can apply for a new passport, identity card or driving licence.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Change gender on birth certificate

Do you want to change the gender stated in your birth certificate (transgender)? Then you can have this changed in your birth certificate at the municipality where you were born. You can also change your first names if you wish.


To register the gender change on your birth certificate, go to the municipality where you were born. Were you born abroad? Then you must file the declaration with the municipality of The Hague(link is external).

When your gender has changed, this is automatically processed in the personal list of your relations, such as family members and partner. All authorities that have access to the Personal Records Database (BRP) are automatically notified of a change in gender and any changed first names.

Due to the change of your gender and any first names, your identity document will expire by operation of law. You can apply for a new passport/identity card and/or driver's license in the municipality where you live. If you live in the same municipality as where you were born, you can usually do this in one go with the gender reassignment. If you live in another municipality, it can take one to several weeks before the change in the Personal Records Database is processed.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Goeree-Overflakkee

Visiting address

Last updated on 22 September 2022