Netherlands Worldwide

Changing the registration of gender on official documents

Do you want to change the registration of your gender designation on your official documents? If so, it must first be changed on your birth certificate. For people born in the Netherlands, this is done in the municipality where you were born. If you want a gender-neutral birth certificate, you can send a request to the district court.  After the registration of your gender has been changed on your birth certificate, you can apply for a new passport, identity card or driving licence.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Gender mutation registration

Are you convinced that you belong to the other gender (are transgender)? In that case you may arrange for mutation of the gender stated in your birth certificate. You do this at the municipality of your birth. You may simultaneously have your first name(s) changed as well.

  • You are 16 or older
  • You are a Dutch national or have lived in the Netherlands with a valid residence permit for at least 1 year
  • Were you born abroad? Then you must make your application at the Municipality of Den Haag

Make an appointment

Mutation of the gender stated in your birth certificate is free of charge. But there are charges for obtaining new proof of identity (passport, ID-card, driving licence).

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Delft

Visiting address

Last updated on 22 September 2022