Applying for a Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag (VOG) in the Netherlands
Many jobs in the Netherlands require you to have a Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag – VOG (certificate of conduct). This also includes volunteer work. Examples are if you are going to work with confidential information or with children. A VOG shows that your behaviour is satisfactory for a new job. You may also need a VOG to apply for a visa or if you want to emigrate to another country.
There are several ways to apply for a VOG:
- Are you registered with your municipality in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP)? Then you or your employer can submit a fully completed application form to the municipality.
- Are you not registered with your municipality in the BRP? For example, if you are working in the Netherlands temporarily or living outside the Netherlands? Then send your application with all accompanying appendices to Justis by post (in Dutch). You can also download the application form from the justis.nl website.
Do you own a company or organisation that requires a VOG? Then you can apply for a VOG voor rechtspersonen – VOG RP (certificate of conduct for legal entities).
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Statement of Conduct
A statement of conduct is evidence of good conduct. Usually you have to go to the Municipal Office for this. Sometimes the organization that asks you for the VOG prepares the application form digitally for you.
Please note: you can apply for a Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag – VOG (certificate of conduct) only if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality
Can't apply digitally? Then you make an appointment to submit the application at the city office. You bring:
- An ID
- The application form (version June 2022), completed and signed.
- Your debit card. You pay the VOG application at the counter.
- Digital: the organization that asks you for the VOG will prepare the application form digitally for you.
- Via the municipality: has the organization that asks you for the VOG not prepared a digital application form for you? Or is there no organization that asks you for the VOG? Then you submit your application at the Municipal Office. You make an appointment for this.
A VOG application costs: € 41,35
You will receive the VOG or the refusal within 8 weeks at the address you specify in the application.
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Municipality of Zwolle