Applying for a Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag (VOG) in the Netherlands
Many jobs in the Netherlands require you to have a Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag – VOG (certificate of conduct). This also includes volunteer work. Examples are if you are going to work with confidential information or with children. A VOG shows that your behaviour is satisfactory for a new job. You may also need a VOG to apply for a visa or if you want to emigrate to another country.
There are several ways to apply for a VOG:
- Are you registered with your municipality in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP)? Then you or your employer can submit a fully completed application form to the municipality.
- Are you not registered with your municipality in the BRP? For example, if you are working in the Netherlands temporarily or living outside the Netherlands? Then send your application with all accompanying appendices to Justis by post (in Dutch). You can also download the application form from the justis.nl website.
Do you own a company or organisation that requires a VOG? Then you can apply for a VOG voor rechtspersonen – VOG RP (certificate of conduct for legal entities).
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Municipality of Moerdijk: Applying for a Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag (VOG)
Please note: you can apply for a VOG (certificate of conduct) only if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.
A VOG is a snapshot and has no fixed period of validity. Depending on the purpose for which the VOG is applied for, a validity period of 3, 6, 9 or 12 months is used in practice.
Free VOG for Volunteers
A larger group of volunteers can claim a free VOG. In addition to volunteers who work with children, volunteers who work with people with an intellectual disability can also receive a free VOG. It is then possible to complete the application without payment. You must then request the application digitally from the Justis Service .
If you apply for the VOG from the municipality, it will no longer be eligible for reimbursement.
Not registered with a municipality in the Netherlands
Are you not registered in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP)? For example, because you live abroad or temporarily work in the Netherlands. Then you must submit your VOG application directly to Justis .
Make an appointment
If you prefer to arrange the application at the town hall, you can make an appointment. Make sure you bring the following items with you:
- Completely completed application form (you will receive the VOG form from your employer). If you do not receive a form from your employer, you can download the form from the Justis Service website ;
- Your valid original ID;
- By authorisation: If you cannot submit the application in person, you can authorize someone. The authorized representative will then bring the written authorization, a copy of your valid proof of identity and their own original proof of identity.
You will receive the VOG or the rejection at home two to four weeks after the application.
Do you already have a VOG application completed and signed by an employer or authority? Then you can complete your application digitally. Make sure you have your Digid, your debit card and a scan of the application form completed in full by yourself and an employer or organization at hand.
Apply digitally to the Justis service of the Ministry of Security and Justice
It is only possible to apply for a VOG directly via the internet if the application is initiated by the (future) employer who requests the VOG from you. The organization must then log in to Mijn.justis.nl using eHerkenning (a means by which companies and organizations can identify themselves online) .
More information about applying for a VOG digitally and what requirements you and your (future) employer must meet can be found on the website of the Justis Service.
- A digital VOG application costs: € 33.85.
- A written application to the municipality costs: € 41.35.
You will receive the VOG or the refusal within 4 weeks at the address you specify in the application.
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Municipality of Moerdijk
Pastoor van Kessellaan 15
08.30 - 17.00
08.30 - 17.00
08.30 - 17.00
08.30 - 17.00
18.00 - 20.00
08.30 - 12.00